Two Artists at Godinez Create the School Wide Read Poster

Lindsy Cienfuegos and Stephanie Alvidrez stand by the poster they drew, presenting their artwork on December 8, 2021 in front of the art classroom.  Photo courtesy of Nancy Larragoiti

Nancy Larragoiti

Lindsy Cienfuegos and Stephanie Alvidrez stand by the poster they drew, presenting their artwork on December 8, 2021 in front of the art classroom. Photo courtesy of Nancy Larragoiti

Johanna Canal, Staff Writer

Two Advanced Placement (AP) Studio Art students, Lindsy Cienfuegos and Stephanie Alvidrez, took their time drawing the poster representing this year’s school-wide reading book, “They Called Us Enemy.”  

Cienfuegos and Alvidrez were given one month to complete the project.  

To start the process off, they went to Google and searched up images of internment camps to get references. Cienfuegos and Alvidrez also went through the book and got images that stood out to them.  

English Department chairperson, Suzanne Pruden, assisted Cienfuegos and Alvidrez by letting them know what to include in the poster.  She told the artists that they should include a butterfly, wire fence, and the boy: George Takei.  

Alvidrez took on the butterflies, making them blue to symbolize freedom. 

“The butterfly was flying away, which represents his freedom flying away because he was stuck in the camp,” said Alvidrez.  

The two traded the drawing back and forth with each other working to complete it.  They would work on the drawing during class and stay after school as well.  Working on each end of the desk, they worked together on their final day to get this piece done.  This piece took Cienfuegos and Alvidrez about a week and a half to fully finish.  

While working on this project together, they got to know each other better.   

Both Cienfuegos and Alvidrez were used to only ever doing art pieces by themselves.  

“We learned a bit more about doing an art piece together,” said Cienfuegos.  

As they were working on the poster, Cienfuegos and Alvidrez, also had other art projects and school work to do. 

“When we finished the art project we were behind on our school work,” added Cienfuegos.  

“You need to read the book to know what the poster is saying,” said Alvidrez. 

If you haven’t already, go read the school-wide read book, “They Call Us Enemy” to get the full understanding of this poster made by Cienfuegos and Alvidrez.