Homecoming Makes a Comeback

This+year%E2%80%99s+Homecoming+is+titled+%E2%80%9CA+Night+In+Neverland%E2%80%9D+and+is+to+take+place+October+23%2C+2021+from+8+p.m.+to+11+p.m.+

Kylie Mayo

This year’s Homecoming is titled “A Night In Neverland” and is to take place October 23, 2021 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Kylie Mayo, Co-Editor-in-Chief

After many cancellations of school events due to COVID-19 restrictions, Godinez Fundamental High School is finally having their first big in-person event, Homecoming.

The theme of the dance is “A Night in Neverland” and will be on October 23, 2021 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on campus. The 2021 Homecoming season starts the third week of October with a spirit week and campaign week for Homecoming Court and Royalty. The Homecoming game is on Thursday, October 21 at 7 p.m. and is against Westminster High School. The winners for Godinez Royalty will be announced at the game after the Halftime Show Performance.  

Outside guests will be allowed to attend, however, they must be under 20 years of age and turn in the proper paperwork by October 21. Students will be charged the price of the dance ticket on the day they turn in the guest slip; the slips can be picked up in the ASB room. 

Even though the dance is outside, all attendees are required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status or a negative COVID-19 test. 

The dress code for the dance is semi-formal, however one can show up in whatever they want as long as it meets dress code. But if you need some inspiration, ASB will have a runway show on October 15 during both lunches to give everyone some ideas on what to wear. 

Homecoming Court this year will be gender neutral. Seniors will be campaigning for either a velvet crown or a tiara and the winners will be considered Homecoming Royalty while underclassmen will be considered Homecoming Court. The top two winners in each class (freshmen, sophomores, and juniors) for Homecoming Court will be announced after school.

ASB adviser, Daniel Tena, expects this dance to be one of the biggest events seen on campus. 

Tena said, “I want it to be a celebration of everyone coming back after a two-year hiatus.” 

“Because the theme is fun we want everyone to join us, have a good time, participate, and have a great high school experience,” Tena added.

Joshua Cruz, the ASB president, expects this dance to be “the event of the year and an enormous success.” 

However, Cruz admits it is a greater challenge on ASB since there are restrictions they have to work around and the majority of the members are not as experienced with in-person events.

Many are excited to attend the dance. On the first day of ticket sales, 231 tickets were sold, and by the end of the first week almost 500 tickets were sold.

Senior Aviara Mata-Mercado is planning on attending this year’s Homecoming dance and is looking forward to having fun with her friends after being stressed out from classes.

“I think the theme is really unique and I can’t wait to see the decorations for it,” said Mata-Mercado.

Mata-Mercado feels safe attending Homecoming since it is “outside rather than a cramped space in the gym” and believes students should attend to make great memories. 

Although junior Isabelle Lung is a bit introverted because of the pandemic, she plans to go to her first school dance with her friends. Lung has high expectations for the dance considering the theme and is looking forward to the DJ. 

When asked about her safety she said, “I think it’ll be fine but I feel like students will feel privileged to take off their masks since it is outside. I would definitely enforce mask to be mandatory at all times”

Freshman Pedro Martinez is excited to go to his first Homecoming and believes he will feel safe as long as everyone keeps their masks on. He also plans on participating in spirit week and going to the game. 

Martinez looks forward to, “spending time with friends and socialize, especially after we had to quarantine because of the pandemic.”

Make sure to buy your tickets soon before the prices rise again, you don’t want to miss this memorable night.