Tips on How You Can Prepare for Upcoming AP Exams

Sophomore at Godinez Fundamental High School, Adriana Estrada, prepares for her upcoming Advanced Placement exam. Photo taken May 10, 2021.

Photo courtesy of Adriana Estrada.

Kevin Ramirez, Staff Writer

As the end of the 2020-2021 school year approaches, it is crucial to begin preparing for upcoming tests, specifically advanced placement (AP) exams. 

AP exams are college-level exams on specific subjects. 

Taking an AP course requires you to take an AP exam on that material once a year in May. Receiving a passing score of three or higher can earn a student college credits.  And save future college students time and money once they enter college.

Having college credits up for grabs makes these exams very important. So, it is encouraged to begin preparing and studying in advance. 

Here are some tips as you get ready for AP testing. 

Begin working now. 

It is never too early to begin studying. Taking time out of your day even if it is only an hour each day. This will pay off and will be the key to success for your exam.

Take advantage of provided study materials. 

Don’t take study guides and other materials provided by instructors for granted. If you know you are struggling or need help with a certain material. Do not hesitate to ask for help. Teachers will be willing to help their students succeed.

Have study sessions with other students and peers. 

Teach and help each other prepare for the test and believe in each other.

Take practice tests. 

This will help you get a feel of the test format and the type of questions that you can expect to see on your exam.

Students at Godinez Fundamental High School are preparing for the upcoming exams.

Sophomore, Andrea Millan, has taken many precautionary measures in order to get the best possible scores on her AP European History exam.

“I am watching review videos, making my own personalized study guides, and going over certain things I struggle with,” Millan said. 

Along with taking those precautions, Millan added, “I’m pacing my studying to the days leading up to the test.”

Sophomore, Adriana Estrada hopes to get a three or higher on the exam.

“I am going to study for at least thirty minutes every day leading up to the exam,” said Estrada.

Estrada continued on saying, “I will be looking back through my notebook and reviewing old units to ensure I do great on this test. I’m hoping for the best.”

The AP exams can be a stressful time for many. 

Estrada added, “I am very nervous but confident I will do okay,” 

Sophomore, Juriana Garcia is also preparing for her first AP exam.

“It is scary but I am confident I will pass,” Garcia said. 

“Studying is stressful but I know it will be worth it in the end,” Garcia added.

Garcia, as well as her peers, has been doing a few things to get ready for her AP Human Geography final exam. 

“To ensure I get a good score I am going over and reviewing old work as well as taking practice tests on various websites,” Garcia said. 

“I am also taking time to study and working extra hard on units I struggle with.”

The night before your exam, make sure you don’t stay up too late; get a good night’s sleep. On the morning of, eat a healthy breakfast. 

Last but not least, do not stress too much about it. While it is easy to get overwhelmed, don’t let that get the best of you. Take a deep breath and believe in yourself. We know this year looked different already, so the fact that you took on the challenge of taking an AP course this year shows a lot of dedication and tenacity from you. 

Remember, at the end of the day, a score on your exam does not define the person you are. You got this! Good luck Grizzlies!