Students in OC Get Vaccinated

Doctor+discusses+the+Pfizer+COVID-19+vaccine+with+the+patient+as+she+gets+ready+to+receive+it+at+the+vaccination+site+at+Segerstrom+High+School+on+Monday+May+3%2C+2020+at+2%3A15+p.m.+

Kylie Mayo

Doctor discusses the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine with the patient as she gets ready to receive it at the vaccination site at Segerstrom High School on Monday May 3, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.

Kylie Mayo, Co-Editor-in-Chief

California is starting to get a sense of normal as COVID-19 vaccines continue to roll out.

It has been a long road since December 14, 2020, when the first vaccine was given in the United States to Sandra Lindsay, a nurse from Long Island Jewish Medical Center. Lindsay received her vaccine around 9:20 a.m. in Queens, New York, at Long Island Jewish Medical Center. 

April 15, is the day Governor Gavin Newson announced COVID-19 vaccines would be available for anyone age 16 or older for people in California. However, only the Pfizer vaccine is authorized for people who are 16 or 17 years of age. 

Many of students at Godinez Fundamental High School, and across Orange County, hopped on the opportunity to get their vaccinations.

Senior Tracy Dang was able to get her first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine on March 13 with a second dose on April 14. 

“I was ecstatic hearing I was eligible because it gave me a sense of hope knowing that we may overcome this pandemic sooner than I had imagined,” said Dang.

Dang feels more comfortable going out, since the vaccine has been proven effective, however, there are some areas she still feels anxious. Huntington Beach, Calif., is one place, which is known for protests against stay-at-home orders and other pandemic regulations. 

Junior Joshua Cruz was excited when he found out he was eligible for the vaccine and was not hesitant to get it. He received his first dose of Pfizer April 5 and his second dose April 26. 

Is he comfortable with being around people?

“It all depends. If I am with people who are vaccinated, of course, I’d feel totally comfortable,” said Cruz.

Both students expressed how  excited they were about life getting back to normal.

“I am most excited about school opening back up because it does get lonely and boring at home. I’m ready to hang out with friends again at school events such as games and dances,” added Cruz.

While for Dang, it’s all about getting to graduate in person and beyond.

I am most excited about going to college and meeting new people in an environment where everyone is also anticipating new friendships,” said Dang.

For those who have not gotten vaccinated, it is highly encouraged to sign up for an appointment in order to get a spot. Santa Ana Unified School District is sending out emails weekly about their vaccination site that happens at Segerstrom High School on Mondays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

It is extremely easy to make an appointment and the vaccine is completely free. 

Recently, the vaccine has been approved for children 12 years or older. 

In Superintendent’s Jerry Almendarez, E-blast to staff and students, he updated the community on where Santa Ana residents can get the vaccine.

“New State guidelines now allow for any individual age 12 and older to receive a COVID-19 vaccination. The District continues to offer each Monday a Pfizer vaccination clinic at Segerstrom High School through a partnership with Rite-Aid. Registration information is available by contacting your student’s school,” he said.

And, slots are open which allows students to walk in without an appointment every Monday until 5 p.m.

The vaccine is recommended by the CDC as the most effective way to keep the community safe and protected, not just for others but for yourself as well.

As of right now over 40% of Californians are vaccinated.

Check out the CDC website for COVID-19 vaccine information if unsure or have questions about it.