Photo Courtesy of Chester Maharaj

Lynn Maharaj, receives her first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at Soka University in Aliso Viejo. Photo taken Feb. 9, 2021.

Minimizing the Spread of COVID-19 One Vaccine at a Time

February 16, 2021

As a result of rising COVID-19 cases in Orange County, Disneyland, “the happiest place on Earth,” transformed into the first vaccination site in Orange County. 

Known as a Super Point-of Distribution (POD), the Disney site is vaccinating on average 8,000 people a day. People eligible for vaccines include: law enforcement, first responders in high-risk communities, people residing in nursing facilities, and senior citizens ages 65 or older. 

In order to set up an appointment, qualified people must go through Othena.com or Othena’s app for availability. 

Other than Disneyland, Soka University, located in Aliso Viejo, is the second COVID-19 vaccination site in Orange County, which opened Saturday, January 23rd. 

Photography teacher at Godinez Fundamental High School, Chester Maharaj, and his wife, Lynn, both received their first doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination at Soka University.

“The vaccination was very painless,” said Maharaj, who added, “there were no complications.”

They were told to wait 20 minutes after receiving the vaccination and they have their appointments to get their second dose of COVID-19 vaccine on March 2.

At each site, identification and proof of eligibility is necessary when showing up for the appointment. 

Santa Ana College’s POD site opened on Wednesday, February 17, where eligible residents can sign up to schedule an appointment through Othena.com. With Santa Ana being one of the cities greatly affected by COVID-19, they will continue to provide testing, starting on Monday, February 22 to staff and students on campus. 

For senior citizens who have not had the opportunity to attend Orange County’s Super POD’s, smaller POD sites have begun opening up around Orange County for easier access to COVID-19 vaccinations.

The Southwest Senior Center in Santa Ana, which has the highest cases in all of Orange County, has opened and is distributing 400 to 500 vaccines a day, specifically for local “Santaneros” and people who work in Santa Ana 65 and older. Though they are low distribution numbers, these smaller POD sites are located in greatly affected areas in order to help families who may not have access or transportation to larger sites. 

Outside of Orange County, Dodger Stadium and Cal State L.A., are some of the larger sites in Southern California to vaccinate people who are eligible to receive shots.  

And local pharmacies like CVS, Vons, Walgreens, and Rite Aid announced that they will be offering the COVID-19 vaccine for those who are qualified to receive it, soon. 

With many sites offering a drive thru option, the hope is just like the Maharajs, people will get their vaccinations sooner than later.