Local DTSA Bookstore Hosts their 3rd Annual Literary Arts Festival

Courtesy of Libromobile

The poster for LibroMobile’s 3rd annual Literary Arts Festival displayed.

Melanie Sanchez, Reporter

On January 23, Bookstore LibroMobile, in downtown Santa Ana (DTSA), hosted their 3rd annual Literary Arts Festival, virtually on their Instagram page.

LibroMobile is a literary project and working bookstore established in Santa Ana by local author Sarah Rafael García.

This project moves to empower minorities voices (such as people of color, queer youths and many others) through literature and writing. 

They have not only a permanent bookstore but also a mobile shop that travels throughout Santa Ana. The Literary Arts Festival is an extension of the project to get people interested in reading and discovering new authors.

Viewers of the festival were treated to poets and prose writers Tamara Hattis, Donato Martinez and Luis Humberto who took the stage reading some of their own works and a Drag Queen Story Time with Elektra Wolfe.

The Modesta Avila Award was also awarded to David Lopez, a local queer writer.

Student Erik Estrada joined LibroMobile for their livestream and loved the local flavor of the festival. 

“It was really cool to see writers and poets that originated in Santa Ana,” said Estrada.

LibroMobile holds many other events for its patriots/readers year round. They recently partnered with Urban Word NYC for the OC Youth Poet Laureate Program and often hold creative writing workshops

The next event is Cafe y Chisme on Saturday, Feb. 27th at 10 a.m. The event will celebrate SalviMex culture with Bernie Molina, author of Herencia Cookbook.

Due to COVID restrictions, LibroMobile has been limited to virtual sales but continues to have their small, free library outside of their bookstore located on 4th and Spurgeon Streets.

A monthly newsletter has also been created to keep patriots informed and engaged in the light of the pandemic.

To find more of LibroMobile follow them on Instagram at @libromobile or email them at [email protected] if you’re interested in donating books or selling your publications.