Keeping Up with Your New Year’s Resolutions

To encourage new year's resolutions that stick, try making a list and prioritizing.

Courtesy or Marwa Morgan

To encourage new year’s resolutions that stick, try making a list and prioritizing.

Graciela Ramirez, Staff Writer

Last year started a new decade. Many held high goals, although the year 2020 didn’t end up being what they wanted. It ended up far worse. And now, we are still hoping that our lives improve in 2021. 

A month has passed since the new year and a lot has happened, though let’s not get too caught up and forget the goals we promised ourselves we’d achieve this year. 

With a New Year that lasts 365 days and resolutions that may only last 30–if you ever get around to them; many are hoping for a better time and a better self. 

Personally, I believe that when we set up goals for ourselves, we shouldn’t have to wait for a new year. If you really want to achieve something, you should be determined to do it. Yet students Yuliana Acavedo and Cintya Jaimes disagree. 

Jaimes, a senior at Lorin Griset Academy, said, “I think it’s great that people have new year resolutions, so they feel like they have accomplished something even if it seems like something little.” 

For others, a new year can feel like a brand new start and many feel like they should commemorate by bringing a new self even if it is a small resolution. The act of doing something fresh is exciting. 

As a senior at Godinez Fundamental High School, Acevedo believes, “New Year resolutions are just opportunities to reflect on how to become a better version of yourself.” 

Which is true. Many do try to change themselves when they have reflected on the past year and want to improve themselves the next. 

Sometimes it’s hard to keep motivated to keep track of your goals. Studies have shown that approximately 80% of people give up on their New Year resolutions. 

Acevedo encourages us to make new goals a habit.

“I think most of us have heard the saying, ‘It takes 30 days to form a habit’ I definitely believe it…I do have to admit it’s extremely difficult but some progress can definitely mean a lot and that’s what matters,” said Acevedo. 

Even making resolutions a habit are good in the long run and hopefully with Acevedo’s advice, many can achieve their goals. Perhaps by starting a positive habit you can break a bad one as well. 

As for Acevedo’s New Year resolutions, she plans to work out and cut some fatty foods.

Likewise, Jaimes plans to get into shape and keep up with school along with her grades.  She also plans to start a band with her friends. 

Though I don’t agree with the concept, “New Year, New Me,” I too have goals of my own. 

I plan to knock off some weight, but mostly I want to bring back the things I used to do such as: draw, paint, cook, bake, sew and write. I don’t know why I gave up all those hobbies but it would be great to do them again. 

I’m looking forward to opening my mind again, relaxing more with these hobbies because life can be stressful at times and reuniting with my hobbies will help me exponentially. To be completely honest, I haven’t done half of my goals yet, but I will take Acevedo’s advice to get me started. 

As many individuals remain hopeful for this year, honor yourself especially in times like these and remember to do what makes you happy. Set realistic goals for yourself and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Now go out there and make this a good year.