Drama Produces Their First Ever Virtual Fall Play

Melanie Sanchez

Playbills and tickets of previous fall plays produced by Godinez’s drama department lay together of a table. Photo taken on Nov. 16, 2020

Melanie Sanchez, Staff Writer

As we continue to practice distance learning, the drama department prepares to produce their first ever virtual fall play. 

Many extracurriculars had to adjust their activities to accommodate social distancing guidelines. For the drama department, that means creating their first ever all virtual production. 

Drama director Richard Marting has chosen the play “Almost, Maine” by John Cariani. 

The show is about different romances set on the same night in the small town of Almost, Maine. 

According to Marting, the show is currently in production and will be broadcast on Friday, Jan. 22 at 7 p.m.

Once production and editing are finished, the show will be broadcasted on Zoom. Information on how students will access it is forthcoming.

“Almost, Maine” has been produced at Godinez in a previous year, but it works well with the current situation and allows for a fall play to happen.

Unlike previous productions, this play will be free to all staff and students and there will be no 15-minute intermission for snacks and drinks.

Drama student Sofia Barrows said that it has been difficult to act through a computer screen. 

“This year we had to adapt to performing through Zoom,” said Barrows.

Marting said that “actors will be following social distancing rules as they’re recording their scenes online.”

Those clips will then be sent back to edit and be spliced together by tech crew director, John Westmyer

Previous predictions have allowed for open auditions, but for this year’s fall play roles are exclusive to advanced drama students. 

Although there have been bumps in the road for this production, things seem to be smooth sailing from here. 

Student director Erik Estrada has had a big learning curve working on a virtual production.

Estrada said, “I’m glad we were able to see this production through.”

Jeannette McMahon, VAPA Dept. Head, added that choir’s annual show “Aspects of Love” will be going virtual as well and we might have some carols before our holiday break. 

Even though this year is full of new experiences for teachers and students, the drama department continues to work hard to produce a show for their audience. 

So, be sure to keep an eye out for “Almost, Maine” this Christmas and follow @gfhsdrama on Instagram for more information and updates.