Pandemic Spooks Trick-or-Treaters

Graciela Ramirez

Some pumpkins that are carved, decorated and masked for Halloween. Photo taken on October 11, 2020 in Santa Ana, Calif.

Graciela Ramirez, Staff Writer

Halloween is around the corner and on a Saturday this year, and as people get into the Halloween spirit they need to stay safe. 

Due to COVID-19, the CDC recommended these guidelines, leaving people disheartened about having to limit contact.

The CDC recommends, “safer, alternative ways to participate in Halloween,” since “many traditional Halloween activities can be high-risk for spreading viruses.” 

Though Halloween is canceled, the CDC can’t control people from celebrating, so they suggest safer ways to participate on their website. For example their website proposes indoor activities such as carving pumpkins, having candy scavenger hunts, and a Halloween movie night. 

Although some have kept their Halloween traditions despite the coronavirus, many people are still being cautious.

Cindy Ortega, a junior at Valley High School, plans to keep her traditional Halloween celebration. 

“This Halloween I hope to hang out with my friends and after, go to work,” said Ortega. 

Ortega’s concerns are “I feel like as long as we wear masks and sanitize often we will be okay.” She adds, “I really hope not many people go out though. After all, we are in the middle of a pandemic and it might make the infected number even higher.”

While, different crowds don’t feel comfortable going out. Others have chosen to stay in. 

Masked pumpkins set the tone for a pandemic Halloween. Photo taken on October 10, 2020 in front of the author’s house in Santa Ana. (Graciela Ramirez)

Godinez Fundamental High School senior, Kimberly Perez, chooses to stay home this year, binge horror movies while eating candy with family and friends.

“I will most likely go to my cousin’s house and buy candy so we can stay up watching scary movies,” said Perez. 

When asked about her worries, she replied, “I am concerned some children will still go out trick-or-treating and they’ll catch COVID-19,” said Perez. 

Registered nurse at Keck Medicine of USC in Irvine, Letti Barajas, wants people to take precautions while celebrating. 

Barajas recommends, “To stay away from big crowds and stay six feet away from anybody and stay safe as possible.” 

As for those planning to give out candy, the CDC recommends people wash their hands frequently and maintain a distance to avoid further spread. And for those who have had the coronavirus or had contact with someone with the disease, the CDC website insists they not participate and stay isolated. 

The hope is everyone does their part, to social distance, have equipment to stay safe, and continue to practice safety measures to avoid any danger with the disease. 

“Have a safe and happy Halloween!” has a whole new meaning this year.