Godinez Students Organize First Virtual Club Rush

Polynesian+Cultural+Club+sets+up+their+virtual+meeting+during+Godinez+Fundamental+High+School%E2%80%99s+Club+Rush+on+Tuesday%2C+Oct.+6.+

Courtesy of Paola Ramos

Polynesian Cultural Club sets up their virtual meeting during Godinez Fundamental High School’s Club Rush on Tuesday, Oct. 6.

Melanie Sanchez, Reporter

As this year’s shift to distance learning continues, Associated Student Body (ASB) put together the first-ever virtual Club Rush.

Every year, Godinez Fundamental High School (GFHS) hosts their Club Rush where GFHS students can explore what clubs they offer. This year, ASB members, Julie Phan and Celeste Ochoa, are the Club Rush organizers. Eight clubs participated this year: Key Club, Polynesian Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Mariachi Club, Quiz Bowl, Tech Crew, ASB Senate, and Red Cross Club. 

An email was sent to all students and teachers with a spreadsheet of each club’s meeting link and their time slots.  

“I think all students should take this opportunity to branch out and explore all the different clubs that we have to offer,” said Phan.

Previous Club Rushes were held in the courtyard, during lunch which means that it was much easier for students to access and participate. This year much of the responsibility was on club leaders and students to recruit. 

Fewer clubs decided to participate this year. Originally, there were only six clubs participating. ASB Senate and Red Cross were added to the schedule after the first day of Club Rush. 

Only eight of the 15+ clubs offered to hold virtual meetings.

Student Giselle Garcia is interested in joining a club. But she worries that “a lot of people aren’t even gonna show up, or they’re gonna straight up forget.”

Although clubs can not meet physically, they did meet virtually. And for many seniors, this is their last chance to get involved. 

Previous club rushes provided clubs the chance to recruit students and for students to find a new hobby or interest.

Although Club Rush hoped to run smoothly this year, many were concerned about the virtual aspect. Some expected crashing, frozen screens, and buffering. 

Big Brothers Big Sisters president and Polynesian Club secretary, Paola Ramos, worried “my internet could go out in the middle of the presentation or I could be lagging the whole time and I wouldn’t have known.”

Internet issues continue to be a problem for GFHS students and it did present itself during this year’s Club Rush. Some presenters such as Tech Crew president Anthony Arzate had connection problems, cutting in and out as he discussed important topics. 

Teachers were informed of this year’s Club Rush beforehand, with an email from ASB advisor Daniel Tena. Multiple announcements on social media were also posted for students. 

But fewer clubs decided to participate and some were added last minute. 

Because of low club participation, fewer students participated than previous years.

The actual number of participants for this year’s Club Rush is unknown but clubs like Quizbowl and Polynesian Cultural Club were only able to pull in five participants each while other clubs like Big Brothers Big Sisters pulled in 40 new members. 

Although this year’s club rush did hit a few speed bumps, for some clubs it was considered a success. While for others it was a hit and miss. 

But just because Club Rush is over doesn’t mean students can’t join some new clubs. 

Most clubs are on social media including Big Brothers Big Sisters club whose Instagram page is @godinezhsbigs. 

Ramos said they can still join, they just have to “click the link in our bio for the application.”