With Softball Season Cut Short, Pitcher Natalie Carlos Looks ahead to CSUSB

Courtesy of Lisa Treen

Varsity Softball pitcher and senior, Natalie Carlos, holds her Athlete of the year award.

Lisa Treen, Athletic Director

Senior softball pitcher and slugger, Natalie Carlos, was selected as Godinez Fundamental High School’s Class of 2020 Female Athlete of the Year. Carlos was selected for her superior athletic talent on the softball field and for her incredible representation of Godinez softball over the past four years.  Natalie is a four year softball letterwoman who has earned many softball accolades and shares in three team league championships & a historical CIF-SS D4 Championship.

Here are some of Natalie’s softball accolades earned over her high school softball career:

• 4 year varsity letterwoman
  • Member of league championship team – 2017
  • Offensive player of the year -2017
  • 1st Team All League – 2017
  • Member of league championship team – 2018
  • 1st Team All League – 2018
  • Member of league championship team – 2019
  • GWL Pitcher of the year – 2019
  • Southern California Player of the Week – 2019
  • Member of CIF-SS Div 4 Championship team – 2019
  • MVP Pitcher CIF-SS Div 4 – 2019

Ed Medina was Carlos’ coach the past four seasons.

“Carlos became our #2 pitcher and our staring 3rd baseman.  In her first year, she led the team in home runs (14) and was selected to the OCL 1st Team All League and we won the league title,” said Medina.

Medina continued, “In her sophomore year, she led the team in home runs (12), helped us to win back to back Orange Coast League titles and was named to the 1st Team All League.”

In Carlos’ junior year, her team moved into the Golden West League and this is where Carlos bloomed. She became the #1 pitcher with a record of 16-1, ERA 1.08 with 30 walks and 79 Ks to win a 3rd consecutive league title.  Consequently,  Carlos was named Golden West League Pitcher of the Year and in playoffs Natalie exploded on the scene with pitching and winning all 5 CIF-SS playoff games.

The best game was the Culver City Semi-Finals. Carlos only gave up two hits and one walk but the highlight of that game was Carlos hitting two bombs over the center field fence. Carlos put the team into the Championship game against El Segundo.

And then the team beat El Segundo 15-1, giving up five hits, one run and fielding her position in the circle with five put outs.

They won a league championship (10-0 undefeated) and went 5-0 in the playoffs plus won the CIFSS Div 4 Championship.

But she lost her grandfather a week before so her team supported her through that tough time.  All of them grew up together through elementary and middle school while playing against each other and their friends in travel ball and high school.

Carlos has been a part of the AVID program over the past 4 years and has worked in the community at various clean up events. Carlos’ educational goals include playing softball at the next level.  She is currently awaiting acceptance and scholarship details to Cal State San Bernardino.  Her career goal at this time is to attain a degree in the area of human development.

Carlos had many people to thank upon graduating from high school and said, ‘Throughout high school many people have contributed to my success.”

• Dr. Chavez has always motivated me to work hard to have a successful year.
  • Mrs. Conner for always making herself available to in any way she could to make sure I understood her class.
  • Mr. Pola for always helping me get better on the field and showing he believed in me.
  • Coach Sel who brought out my confidence in the field and to always trust myself.
  • Coach Medina for always showing he cared and I stayed on the right path.
  • Mrs. Morgan for always showing how much she cared and supported me through this year.
  • Mrs. Feuerborn who has always taken time to help in this senior school year journey.

It’s been a tough few months not being able to play the game she loves due to the global pandemic caused by the coronavirus. But Carlos looks forward to making her mark at Cal State San Bernadino in the fall as an incoming freshman.