Sportspersons of the Year Made Their Mark

Courtesy of Lisa Treen

A photo of Sportspersons of the Year which originally appeared on the godinezathletics.com website.

Lisa Treen, Guest writer

Editor’s Note: This article was written by our guest writer, athletic director, Lisa Treen, due to COVID-19 restrictions. This article was originally published on godinezathletics.com on May 9, 2020, and has been edited to fit newspaper format.

Congratulation to seniors Diego Navarro and Juliett Vazquez on being selected as Class of 2020 Sportsman & Sportswoman of the Year!

These athletes were selected for their tremendous character and leadership in our soccer programs.

Both are incredible young adults that exemplify our Champions of Character philosophy; which includes an educational focus on the positive qualities in one’s personality that will help promote personal and group success.  In particular these character traits include but are not limited to: respect, responsibility, integrity, servant leadership and sportsmanship.

Navarro and Vazquez both share these qualities and that’s what has helped to make them the type of athlete that any coach would love to have in their program and on their team.  They are true servant leaders and put others before themselves while working and striving to be the best they can be as a student-athlete, team mate and a captain.

Both of these student-athletes will be missed by all of the Godinez Fundamental High School’s family because they represent what is at the core of what it means to be a Grizzly.

Navarro’s awards include:

• Team Captain – 9th/10th/12th grades
  • 1st Team All League Honors – 10th/11th/12th grades
  • League Champion – 10th/11th/12th grades
  • Golden West League Defensive player of the Year – 2020
  • All Orange County 2nd Team – 2020

Navarro’s future plans:  Plans on attending junior college for 2 years and then transferring to a 4 year university.  Diego’s educational goals are to get his bachelor’s degree in psychology.  Navarro wants to play soccer in college and plans on working hard while doing his best to learn more about soccer.

Navarro’s advice to future Grizzlies:  “My words of wisdom for future Grizzlies is not to be afraid to go that extra step because that extra step might make your life at Godinez way easier.  Don’t be afraid to be the person with their head down, working hard, because it will pay off.”

Navarro’s message to GFHS staff:  “I would like to thank the teachers, coaches, athletic director and athletic trainer who  helped me through high school.  I would like to especially thank Coach Fernandez for helping me grow and mature by always enforcing good values and trusting me as a person because it really helped me.”

Vazquez’s awards include:

• Scholar-Athlete – 9th/10th/11th/12th grades
  • Team Captain
  • Honor Roll
  • Great Grizzly Award – 10th/11th
  • Athlete of the Month
  • ASB Senate Treasurer
  • Co-President of GSA
  • Gold Pride Council Member

Vazquez’s future plans: She will be attending Chapman University in the fall and majoring in biology.  Vazquez plan’s are to attend to become a doctor.  She also plans to play soccer at the college level.

Vazquez’s advice to future Grizzlies:  “The most important thing to remember is to stay on track whether with grades or athletics, keep disciplined and you will succeed.”

Vazquez’s message to GFHS staff:  “I want to thank all of my teachers, advisors, friends and, most importantly, my coaches and soccer team.  I definitely would not be able to do it without all of your words of encouragement. Throughout my four years at Godinez having that support pushed me to do even better overall.”