A screen of the official Instagram page for the Wellness Center at Godinez Fundamental High School. Picture taken on April 6, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.

Wendy Rodriguez

There is Help from the Wellness Center

April 6, 2020

Claudia Tapia, the Wellness Center’s director and the Family and Community Engagement Liaison supports students, families and the community by connecting them to resources.

During this difficult time, Tapia has provided families, teachers, and students with resources for food, shelter, diapers, financial assistance, referrals to agencies helping with filing unemployment, and mental health resources.

“At school it’s natural for students to talk to me about what’s going on with their lives, but now that I am home, I’ve had to reach out to them more. Just because we aren’t at school doesn’t mean I am not here,” said Tapia.  

Tapia shared that Santa Ana Unified School District is providing meals for students three days a week at 13 different schools from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. On Mondays, and Wednesdays, students or their parents are able to pick up two days worth of lunch and breakfast, while on Fridays, they can pick up one meal. In addition, SAUSD provides students with Educational Enrichment packets for all grade levels at meal sites.  

Tapia stressed that she is, “here and available for students, teachers, families and community members during this hard time. Even when they feel alone, we are all in this together and this will soon pass and we will be stronger than ever because of this historic experience.” 

Tapia created an Instagram and has been working to push information out to those in need. She hopes to continue using it when school resumes, but for the meantime, she encourages students and families to stay connected.

On March 27, 2020, President Donald Trump signed a $2 trillion stimulus bill in hopes that the economy in peril over the coronavirus will be saved. 

As for when school resumes, that’s the million, no trillion dollar question. 

Stay safe and stay home.