After finishing her chores, freshman America Bernabe works on her Geometry homework at her desk in her room. Picture taken March 24, 2020, at 7:25 p.m.

Courtesy of America Bernabe

A Stressful Experience due to Distractions

April 6, 2020

Freshman America Bernabe has mixed emotions when it comes to online learning. As much as she enjoys learning at her own pace, she learns better with the help of others.

“I am hurt as a student especially in my geometry class because that is my weakest subject,” said Bernabe. She’s also worried about her AP human geography class because the material for a freshman taking her first AP is tough for her to understand.

The worst thing is the constant noise her family makes. This distracts Bernabe from focusing on her studies.

With the change to online learning, Bernabe is now responsible to help her six-year old sister with her homework, in addition to chores that include: washing dishes, vacuuming, sweeping, gardening, and cooking for the family. The added responsibilities affect her because she starts homework at 6 p.m. and depending on her homework, she ends late at 10:30 p.m.

Bernabe easily gets overwhelmed but she’s come up with a few ways to help with the added stress. 

She listens to music, watches television and has video chats with her friends to destress. In addition, Bernabe’s friends help her understand the homework by breaking down the problems into steps.  

Bernabe added, “Remember to stay home, stay safe, and wash your hands. Do your part to not spread the virus more.”