A New Year means New Laws for Californians

Newsom signs Wildfire Liability Bill on July 11, 2019

Karina Bartolo, Staff Writer

As we enter a new decade, we start new laws. There are new laws that went into effect Jan. 1, 2020 including: guns, health care, education, and crime. Here are a few new laws to know: 

Let’s begin with the first and most important federal law, guns. Almost 40,000 people die each year because of gun violence in the United States. If a person feels threatened, they can ask for a gun violence restraining order. In order to file the order, you need to have a valid reason for it. 

Another federal law is the minimum wage going up by $1. Every large employer of 26 or more employees must pay $13 an hour. However, businesses with 25 or fewer workers must pay at least $12 an hour. Lastly, the minimum wage will be to $15 an hour starting in 2023. 

In California, guns and citizens’ rights are a concern for Californians. Now, in order to purchase a gun, you need to be over 21 and starting in 2021 you can only purchase one rifle per month. Also, if the person is banned from having a gun in another state, you can no longer possess one in California. 

In the past few years, we have heard how many police officers have killed people for no apparent reason or because they get the wrong person. But now California’s police can only use deadly force only if they see the person as a real threat. This should help reduce the number of wrongful deaths in our Golden State.

The next law for California, consists of every Californian needs to have health insurance according to the new individual mandate that essentially replaces the affordable Care Act which was eliminated by President Trump administration. 

And school districts in California now have the power to create new charter schools in their communities. This will let the district consider how charter schools are proposed. These are publicly funded but they are privately run.  This will affect traditional schools in the district.

Also, if a parent has an unpaid lunch bill in K-12 California schools, this will not deny the access of the student to get lunch.

“It’s good to know that the government is enforcing these laws. Especially the whole gun policy we need more safety in this world,” said junior, Estela Argueta. 

Whatever the new law, these should help keep us safer in the new year.