TikTok: The New Trendsetter?

TikTok: The New Trendsetter?

Two of our student reporters, From left, Juan Salgado, and Yesenia Zavala, watch short clips on the viral app TikTok in the Grizzly Newsroom. Photo taken Dec. 4, 2019 at 8:52 a.m.

Bryant Maritnez

Bryant Maritnez

Bryant Maritnez

Bryant Martinez and Marco Morales

Ever since the shut down of Vine, there has been a missing void to be filled in the platform of social media. TikTok has came and filled that void.

Formerly known as Musical.ly, a Chinese company known as ByteDance bought out Musical.ly for $1 billion in November 2017. As a result of the buyout, the platform would be remodeled into TikTok.

There are not many differences between Musical.ly and TikTok. The platform is pretty much the same, but instead of being used to post lip-syncing videos the majority of content shared shifted to comedic “Vine-like” videos.

The video-platform took the world by storm November 2017, and now marking its three-year long term, many continue to visit it on a day to day basis. “Tik Tok just happens to be really funny, and interactive with the daily user,” said Damian Lizardi.

With the start of the controversial “Ok Boomer” dilemma, the star generation, “Gen Z’s” and the “Millennials” have taken back the internet with their creative and comedic 30-second long videos. As the fastest growing app on the market, TikTok has truly become an app on everyone’s phone. 

From synced dancing to comedic skits, the app has countless forms of content for the viewer to enjoy. When asked why she views TikTok as an enjoyable app, Kayla Diaz stated, “Because it’s funny, the jokes are hilarious but the new name change brought back the hype”.

With over 500 million daily users, Tik Tok is truly a dominating app on every platform, with its demographic of 16-24-year-olds, this app is truly not restricted by age group but instead is free for any person of any age to enjoy (Information Taken From).

Courtesy of Ober
Tiktok Age Demographic

“It appeals to every age group, I use it, and my siblings do too,” said Alejandro Izquierdo. 

The popular social media platform has been noticed among staff members. Algebra teacher, Hilda Prado said, “Yes I heard of Tik Tok. I don’t use it, I don’t feel like there’s a point to it. If I wanted to watch funny videos I would go on YouTube instead.”

So there you have it, the sensational app for all ages which has taken the public by the storm will continue to break records and establish a newfound audience.