Animals’ Lives Versus Their Fur?

Animals’ Lives Versus Their Fur?

Buckingham Palace confirms that Queen Elizabeth II, 93, has stopped wearing real fur.

Courtesy of The Mirror

Courtesy of The Mirror

Courtesy of The Mirror

Karina Bartolo, Staff Writer

Winter is around the corner, and Americans prepare by bringing out coats, hoodies, scarves, boots, and other warm pieces. But one popular clothing piece will be missing, animal fur. 

On October 12, 2019, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB44 and made it into law. This law bans the sales of fur products. Fur is defined as animal skin or part thereof with hair fleece or fur fibers thereto, but there are exceptions such as faux fur, cowhides, deer, sheepskin, and any fur product by the Native Americans tribes or those that need it for religious purposes. If you were to violate this law you could face a fine of $500. If you violate the law twice the fine increase to $1000 with each fur item treated as a separate violation. 

This law is not in effect yet. It will be placed on January 1, 2023. But now the question is what are the designers going to do. The New York Times and Keith Kaplan of F.I.C.A.(Fur Information Council of America)  says,”This issue is about much more than Animal Welfare in the fur industry, it is about the end of animal use of any kind. Fur today, leather tomorrow, your wool blanket and silk sheets and meat after that.” FICA is the largest fur industry and they aren’t too happy about this law. The latest retail since 2014 is $1.50 billion. 

But even though there has been positive feedback, there are many who aren’t happy. Few designers have agreed to it and are collaborating with the new law. Some designers have opted to not use fur before this law came out such as Gucci, Prada, and Channel. Not only have designers opted to do this but none other than Queen Elizabeth the second at the age of 93 has decided to no longer wear fur. 

There are more people out in the world that have the same thinking as her. Such as senior Giovanni Bello, “I would wear it for fashion, but I do think there should be a limit because many of the animals that are killed are being extinct,” said Bello.

Another student who also has a similar opinion is junior Jeanette Bustos. “It’s popular in fashion but it’s sad to hear that animals are being slaughtered for clothing and accessories. There should be a limit to it, that way we don’t endanger theses animals,” said Bustos.

As the date gets closer to 2023 for the law to start, faux fur will be the only choice when shopping for the Christmas season.