Boys Waterpolo Resists and Fights over their last Game of the Season

Boys waterpolo goalie Will Feuerborn gets ready to block a shot with the help and arms up of his teammates from left Charles Luevano, Wilton Phung and Mekhi Jones.

Joyce Feuerbor

Joyce Feuerbor

Joyce Feuerbor

Angel Manzo, Sports Reporter

Boys water polo had an extraordinary win for their last game of their season against Westminster High School. 

The CIF League Consolation game was a nail-biter from the beginning sprint to the last few seconds of a double overtime. The game took place on Wednesday, October 30, 2019, at Ocean View High School in Huntington Beach. 

With a brand new coaching staff, only two seniors on the team, eight returning players and a few freshman and sophomores starters for a total of twelve boys, the tiny but mighty team created a bond which grew as the season progressed. 

Joyce Feuerborn
Coach Misael Cruz in black shirt gives a final pep talk during one of the team’s final time outs of the season.

Senior goalie, William Feuerborn, had an extraordinary season for his fourth and final year in waterpolo. Feuerborn now holds the school record for most saves in a single season with 270, besting alumni Daniel Andrade who held the record at 239. 

A win for Feuerborn’s final game with his teammates was a nice touch. Feuerborn had 14 saves with the last one made blocking Westminster’s attempt to tie the game one last time before the second 3:00 minute overtime ran out. The final score was 9-8 with the winning goal for Godinez made by junior Jude Marting.

“It was great to end the season and my career with a win for the team,” said Feuerborn. He added the last game, “says what kind of team we are. We don’t give up.”  

Joyce Feuerborn
A joyful boys water polo smiles after their final but tough game of the season. Photo taken at Ocean View High School in Huntington Beach, Oct. 30, 2019.

Senior Gilbert Gonzalez, who just played just one season reflected, “It was a good season with the boys. For it being my first and last year of water polo, I am glad I got the opportunity to play with my teammates.” 

Overall, the boys ended the season strong with an overall record of  8-14. They had an unforgettable season and look forward to spring and swimming as a brotherhood once again.