Same Story Every Year

Grizzlies Take a Loss with Pride

Same Story Every Year

The Godinez Varsity Football Team playing against Segerstrom at the annual rivalry game on August 30.

Chester Maharaj

Chester Maharaj

Chester Maharaj

Cynthia Molina, Staff Writer

With the school year in full swing, Godinez Fundamental High School students looked forward to the rivalry football game against Segerstrom High School on Friday, August 30. Whether it had been to watch and support the team or have fun with their friends, the rivalry game is one of the most important football games for the Grizzlies. 

In Godinez history since the school opened in 2007, the team has beat Segerstrom once in 2013. But the football team does not give up and continues to put in all their effort every year. With no doubt, it is also the game that gets them more nervous. 

On the big night, Elijah Robles, who has played running back and safety all four years, had the privilege to coach the team. When asked what it was like to coach, Robles answered, “It showed me a different view, it showed me how the coaches feel.”

Robles also shared how proud he was of his teammates and of the hard work they put in every day. With this his last year at Godinez, Robles was saddened knowing he was not going to be able to play his last rivalry game with his teammates due to his 5th metatarsal fracture on his right foot. “I missed out on the game, so I’m a bit bothered but I still got to somehow coach,” said Robles. 

Robles was not the only one excited and cheering his teammates from the sideline. The crowd in the bleachers were cheering loud. The Grizzlies might not have their own field but they sure do have the spirit. No matter the score, the cheering did not stop especially from ASB nor the cheer team even though the ending score was 53-0.

Senior, Natalie Morales, who is on the cheer team made sure her cheering did not stop. Just like the rest of the school, Morales was upset about the score but showed her support throughout the night. Morales said, “We could have done better but obviously we did our best. We had fun.” When asked if throughout the game she felt like not cheering, Morales answered, “Of course not, we still have to support our team and our school and just be there for the crowd and the football players.” 

Just like Robles, Morales support system was the strongest. “The score definitely was not what we all wanted but there will always be another game and another year,” said the positive cheerleader with a smile.

In the bleachers, the chants began with ASB and the people around. A senior in the crowd who is also in ASB, was Valery Prado. Prado began most of the cheering which led the crowd to cheer even louder. Even though Prado had to be at the game because of ASB leadership, she said she would have gone to the game either way. Prado did not want to miss out on the last rivalry game while at Godinez. “This was the last time I would be at Godinez and play Sega.”

Godinez vs Segerstrom game is the only one game that sells out every year. Aside from the score, the screaming of the crowds and the music is what lightened up the Grizzlies Friday night. Everyone comes out to support both teams, including students from other schools and parents.

As Prado said, “It’s the only game that sells out for the competition and spirit.”