Here Are Some Tips For Summer Jobs

Here Are Some Tips For Summer Jobs

Just a few of the places hiring at South Coast MetroPointe in Costa Mesa, Calif. This photo was taken May 4, 2019.

Vanessa Vieyra

Vanessa Vieyra

Vanessa Vieyra

Many Godinez students are stressing about finals, summer school or getting a job over summer break.

Finals will happen, counselors can help us register for summer school, but what happens when you have no work experience or a work permit? Here are some helpful tips to gain employment.

According to Claudia Tapia, the Family and Community Engagement Liaison, “At Godinez Fundamental High School, in order to get a job, many places will require you to have a valid work permit issued by your school counselor.” But a work permit is not easy, you have to at least have a 2.5 GPA and your counselor needs to sign off on the work permit.

Vanessa Vieyra

Tapia continued, “To get a job I feel like you need to be able to articulate and communicate the skills that you have, that make you a good fit for the job. And it doesn’t matter what your work experience is because a lot of students in high school don’t have work experience.”

Getting involved in other things includes, community service experience, maintaining a good GPA, being involved in clubs, or anything that you can easily articulate into being a good fit in a certain job.

So who is hiring? There are a lot of places, including: the Orange County Fair, AMC movie theaters, Picture Show at Mainplace Mall, and retail stores such as Forever 21, DSW Shoes, and Macy’s. All are currently hiring for part-time and seasonal employees.

There are also some places that get busy over the summer like ice cream places including Baskin Robins who are starting to hire.

Just make sure you have a resume to give you that edge. What do you need in a resume you may ask? Tapia advises, “I strongly recommend for students that are seeking jobs to research student resumes and get a good idea for different sections you can have in your resume.”

Tapia concluded, “Start by including your name, address, an appropriate email, and phone number so that they can contact you and list your education and expected graduation so that it gives them insight into who you are and the skills you have that would make you an ideal candidate for the job.”

As summer is just a few weeks away, get busy with your job applications now.

And make sure your resume is one page. Because you’re not the only person applying for jobs this summer.