Two Gals Eat: Watson’s Soda Fountain and Cafe is a trip to the 1950s with a 2019 Vibe

+Picture+of+their+milkshake+station+at+Watson+Soda+Fountain+and+Cafe

Picture of their milkshake station at Watson Soda Fountain and Cafe

Isabel Salgado

Isabel Salgado

Isabel Salgado

Alondra Salgado and Stacy Valentin

Watson’s Soda Fountain and Cafe is a local restaurant in old town Orange located in Orange circle. Many stores all around but Watsons stands out the most with its bright red neon lights that scream welcome. One foot inside and the atmosphere changes. You can see the brown, orange rusty color of the room and you feel a warmth because of the light setting. The table is a white marble with a pale gray swirl that complements their surroundings.

Stacy and I decided to get a comfy booth that has a bold mysterious red leather seating surrounded by black and gray newspaper wall and a shiny frame with a spotlight of  Dorothy Doyle 1956 letterman’s jacket and bat from the Orange Lionettes ladies softball world championship.

Each meal is labeled with famous names that might sound familiar. They have The Chicken little grilled chicken breast, I Love Lucy and Route 66 burger. Not only does this unique restaurant have meals named after iconic names. It also is known for being used as a setting in many movies. Watson Soda Fountain and Cafe were featured in” “Stepford Children,” “Benchwarmers,” “Gumball Rally,” and lastly  Tom Hanks movie “That Thing You Do,” Even our former president George W. Bush has visited this cafe.

Alondra Salgado
Peanut butter cookie, M&M cookie, and Chocolate fudge brownie.

It’s a great place to boost your likes on Instagram and find that perfect setting for a summer photo with friends. Watson has a separate bakery shop with a variety of moist, sweet, colorful pastries like brownies, cookies, muffins cupcakes, and over the top cakes. We decided to get peanut butter and M&M cookies that can cover your face. A delicious fudge brownie that is thick and light at the same time topped with a rich cocoa butter white chocolate drizzle. The cookies were $2 each and the brownie was $3. I highly recommend their chocolate fudge brownie to any addicts, it’s the right amount of perfect.

Alondra Salgado
The Diablo burger with a side of fries photo by Alondra Salgado May 7, 2019.

The “Diablo Burger” that has a creamy rose baiche Sriracha sauce with a kik, fried jalapenos, and a warm savory melted pepper Jack cheese. They give you the option to choose how cooked you would like your meat I chose well-done. When it arrived to my table and I took the that first bite my taste buds went wild with all the burst of flavor. The diablo burger was very hot and juicy and the fries were seasoned perfectly.  This is $14.

Alondra Salgado
Their famous Egg McThronton picture taken by Alondra Salgado May 7, 2019.

Is breakfast your favorite meal of the day? No problem you can have breakfast for lunch and dinner. “Egg Mc Thornton” a soft breakfast scramble egg, bright yellow American cheese, tender sausage links on a fresh fluffy biscuit and with a side of hash brown, tater tots or fries. Whatever is preferred. This breakfast $10.

Stacy Valentin
I love Lucy burger with a side of fries and pickle Photo

The “I Love Lucy” is the most popular dish. It’s a half a pound hamburger topped with big shell mac and cheese.  This burger is $14

“The most popular dish is the I love Lucy and my personal favorite is the “beef dip” stated Manager Garren Paterson.

Stacy Valentin
Billy Brussel vegan appetizer

Billy’s Brussels is an appetizer also vegan. If you love your vegetables this is a dish to get. Big green brussels sprouts, cut in halves, roasted to a beautiful crisp, and served in a fancy dish. Then topped with the perfect amount of a tangy sweet balsamic glaze and finished with a dash of smelly parmesan cheese.

Stacy Valentin
Pasta Primavera vegan friendly dish photo

For the ones who love vegetables or hate, this is the perfect dish. The primavera pasta has sautéed squash, artichoke hearts, asparagus, and mushrooms tossed in a pink sauce that fills your mouth with a parade of flavor. On the side you get hot, toasty, and soft garlic bread that has fresh diced garlic.

Watson’s Soda Fountain & Cafe is located at 116 East Chapman Ave in the Orange Circle. Opened daily at 7:30 a.m., closing times vary.