Game of Thrones Kills Expectations

Game of Thrones Kills Expectations

HBO

HBO

HBO

Ethan Becerra and Michelle Martinez

The show “Game of Thrones” is known as the show with unexpected and shocking events that happen every episode. Today this show has an enormous fanbase who await to finish watching the final season. Although it is popular now it did not start that way.

When the show first aired in 2011 the first episode received 2.22 million views but by the second episode it dropped down to 2.20 million views. Many fans of the novel were anticipating the start of the show but after the first episode aired the excitement faded.

But with season two, viewership increased and now fans had to wait almost two years for season eight to finally air. Since the wait was too long many fans had the chance to prepare for the opening episode of the final season.

In Lebanon, there were some banners supporting the battle Jon Snow (Kit Harington) was going to be involved in with the white walkers. One of the banners said, “Jon Snow…God Protect You.” Many supporters of the show were active on social media sharing that they were not emotionally prepared for the final season to start but desperately wanting to see how the show will wrap up.

* Spoiler Alert for Season one through seven.* Every season has a memorable scene that highlights the entirety of the season. The scene in season one that was shocking was the death of Ned Stark because at the time he was one of the main characters. In season two, the first white walker made an appearance and the Battle of Blackwater Bay with green explosions occurred. The well-known and unsettling Red Wedding left the viewers with horrifying reactions in season three. This wedding celebration lead to a massacre of the King of the North, his wife who was pregnant, his mother, and his army.

In season four the main scene was when one of the characters, Peter Pascal, was literally crushed by another. A shocking scene in season five was in the finale when Jon Snow was murdered, don’t worry though because he was later revived. In season six, the destruction of the Great Sept of Baelor happened where multiple characters died. The season finale of season seven was mind blowing because the dragon of the nightking burned down an entire wall of ice.

*Spoiler warning for the first half of season eight.* During the first episode of season eight, Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) finally arrived in Winterfell with Jon Snow by her side. Jon Snow and Sansa (Sophie Turner) finally see each other again and Daenerys meets Sansa, Jons Snow’s half-sister, and Sansa gives her a cold shoulder. Another warm reunion that many fans awaited was one between Jon Snow and Arya Stark (Maisie Williams). After many years since there separation this reunion was long anticipated and worth the wait.

One final reunion was between Arya and Gendry (Joe Dempsie), an old friend how she hasn’t seen since he was taken away. It is in this episode when we find out that the White Walkers are headed towards Winterfell ready to fight in the war. The first episode included many crucial reunions for many characters especially since some characters might not survive the war.       

The last season is crucial for fans to end the series on a the right foot. Season 8 Episode 2, was a reminder of the original feelings felt in the first episode of Game of Thrones. It opened up with a reunion of two vital characters, that have not seen each other for eight years. This episode was based around the characters setting, the calm before the storm. Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) and Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) clash before the great battle at Winterfell.

We get a total reversal in characters, Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) steps out of her comfort zone. From being this great hero, to a girl in search of love on her last night on earth. Another vital moment, Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) defies gender norms and becomes the first women being knighted. Lastly, the closing scene reveals the warning cry that the enemy is at the wall. It has been nearly 652 days, fans have been waiting for the final showdown between the Night King and the civilizations of Westeros.

Ahhhhhhh! Emotions are all over the wall is what Season 8 Episode 3 evoked. It was an action packed episode, with many moments of fear. The audience at home can agree, that the scenes were meticulously planned out. The detail in cinematography, was over the chart. With it’s great CGI of dragons and the attention to detail in Special makeup effects and FX prosthesis. From the first five minutes, it created a sense of overwhelming emotions.

This one hour long and 23 minute episode made T.V. history, for being the longest battle scene. Some audience members will be left crying, screaming, and on the edge of their seats. I highly recommend watching this episode, 10/10. Now the question is who will end up on the throne, or will they all die?