Would you Join the Academy?

Photo Courtesy of Netflix

Olivia Ibarra

The Umbrella Academy is about 7 out of 43 infants that are inexplicably born to random, unconnected women who showed no signs of pregnancy the day before. Seven of them were purchased by an eccentric billionaire, Sir Reginald Hargreeves ( Colm Feore), who trains them to save the world. Over the years, most of the seven children leave home and struck out on their own.  The death of their “father” brings them back together for something exceptionally important.

Starring Number 1/ Luther, (Tom Hopper) who lives up in the moon for the past 4 years, Number 2/ Diego ( David Castañeda) a Batman-like vigilante who is very talented with knives, Number 3/Allison (Emmy Raver-Lampman) a celebrity who can change reality by the speaking “rumors” out loud, Number 4 Klaus (Robert Sheehan) a junkie who can communicate with the dead, Number 5/No Other Name (Aidan Gallagher), a 13-year old who time-traveled to the future where he was trapped for 50 years, Number 7/Vanya (Ellen Page) a violinist with no superpowers.

Number 5, is being hunted down by a mysterious pair of professional assassins named Hazel (Cameron Britton) and Cha-Cha (Mary J. Blige). Both are given off strong Fargo villain vibes. There is a very strong body count from the beginning of the series, though the show is never dark or dour. Number 5, is both an old man and a teenager. The series expertly makes us interested in how the sibling’s relationships develop or breakdown after many years of being apart.

The show focuses on an apocalypse which Number 5 witnesses in the very near future. Along with many mysteries of how to stop what causes it. The narrative jumps around in time and place, revealing the background stories of how the sibling got to be who they are now. While filling in some gaps about their collective past.

This series is based on a collection of comics and graphic novels created and written by My Chemical Romance lead singer Gerard Way. The Executive producers are Steve Blackman, Mike Richardson, Keith Goldberg, Gerard Way, and Gabriel Bá. Steve Blackman is a producer and writer that is known for his work on the film Fargo. Blackman won a Writers Guild of America Award for his work on the second season of Fargo along with his fellow writes.

It’s very difficult to think back on how everything began in this crazy show after having buzzed through its 10 episodes. It is full of layered narratives. Don’t look up spoilers, it is better to be surprised. “The Umbrella Academy,” is an interesting, enjoyable, and well worth watching.

1 Comment

One Response to “Would you Join the Academy?”

1. Jazmin A. on March 29th, 2019 12:37 pm

Out of everyone in the series, my favorites are 5, Klaus, and Hazel. There’s just a certain charm to them. I had gone into the series having prior knowledge from the comics, and had been waiting for this to come out for a long while, so I was extremely excited. Soon I found out that the comics and the Netflix series were different. Some designs were re-vamped, plot as well as some powers changed, and the aliases of the characters were removed (i.e, Spaceboy/Luther, The Séance/Klaus). Personally I did not like what they did with Allison’s design, but you get used to it, same with Klaus, but his idiosyncrasies more than make up for it. They also did a great job at giving life to both Hazel and Cha-Cha, in the comics, they were just static characters.
    I certainly recommend this series to anybody who has spare time— maybe even watch it during spring break, although there are only 10 episodes, they’re all about an hour long. The soundtrack is great, and the subplots are nice as well. Of course, this is not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s better to try out new things, because you may just like it.

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

Competition Heats Up Between Fortnite and Apex Legends

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

Affordable Things To Do Over Spring Break

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

La Vegana Mexican is a Vegan Mexican Heaven

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

Should We Still be Listening to R Kelly?

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

School stress? Here is How to be your Best

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

Throwback Movies to Binge this Spring Break

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

2019 Is A Year To Celebrate Black Filmmakers

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

“Green Book” Plays Into The Wrong Oscar-Winning Tropes

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

Captain Marvel Could Have Been MARVELous

• Would you Join the Academy?

Arts & Entertainment

Review- Bury a Friend- Billie Eilish

Would you Join the Academy?