Everybody Has a Story: Julian Reyes

Everybody Has a Story: Julian Reyes

This photo was taken during the Goachella themed Sadie’s runway during 2nd lunch on March 15, 2019

Christopher Mejia

Christopher Mejia

Christopher Mejia

Omar Rojas, Staff Writer

Julian Reyes in an exceptional athlete and stellar student who committed himself to four grueling years of sports and education at Godinez. Reyes has managed to maintain a 4.3 GPA while juggling three sports over the span of four years.

During his freshman year, Reyes joined swim, after being convinced by his older brother. Reyes went on to join water polo his sophomore year.

Reyes quickly became a dominant and competitive player, often considered one of the best players on the team. During his time in water polo, Reyes set the record for “most goals scored in season”, scoring a total of 115 goals his junior year. Another record he chased was a time trial in the 50-meter freestyle swim in which he missed by one second on his best run.

Although Reyes enjoyed his time in water polo and swim, he opted to take his talents over to the football team for his senior year. This decision came after much persuasion from coaches and teammates to rejoin this team that was in need of players following the loss of many athletes at the start of the school year and the end of last year.

Reyes wasn’t new to football, he had played his freshman year but decided to focus on water polo and swim for his sophomore and junior year. Reyes believes football was a “good change” and enjoyed his return to football. Reyes wants to thank all his coaches for making these four years in high school so enjoyable.

And that everything included participating in the Mr. Godinez contest, he was incredibly entertaining and received much support from the crowd.

After high school, Reyes plans to major in mechanical engineering while studying at a four-year college. “I just want to focus on my life,” said Reyes. Reyes wants to “experience everything.”

Reyes has been admitted into great schools such as Cal State Long Beach, Cal Poly Pomona, and UC San Diego, including others. It will be exciting to see how Julian Reyes develops and ultimately what the future holds for this talented young man.