Senioritis affecting the race to Graduation

Edwin Ruiz doing what he does the best, sleeping in class.

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado, Staff Writer

The time has come where Spring is in the air and so is Senioritis. Senioritis has affected seniors for as long as high school students have existed. Senioritis, a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, is characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

This year’s senioritis is affecting many of our fellow Grizzlies. With college applications, FAFSA’s, and especially senior portfolios, and senior interviews on the way.

“I feel a little pressured about senior year because its something that I’ve been working for and so far I feel like all the work that my peers and I have been putting hasn’t paid off properly,” states Ana Frutos.

“I feel worn out to a certain extent and I’m nervous of what my future will look like. I feel a kind of disoriented and a bit disorganized. I think we get Senioritis because we get burned out and overwhelmed with everything,” says Frutos.

Seniors are also overwhelmed with work, AP classes, and part-time jobs which add to an already overloaded schedule.

A lot of people are blinded by senior activities: Prom, Grad Nite, Power Puff, etc. But, these are only privileges and can be taken away in a blink of an eye.

“I regret not doing my work and for missing assignments. I have a lot I’m trying to do, two or three of my missing assignments every day to catch up,” says Edwin Ruiz.

Ruiz who won Best Sleeper has a lot of work to catch up on before he can attend these senior events.

“Definitely, Senioritis has been really strong this year,” says English teacher Joel Medina. “The main issue for Senioritis is that seniors get a little bit lazy and the senior starts to look at how much they are missing and how much needs to be done and they are overwhelmed.”

“Make sure to ask someone for help to guide you through the process,” says Medina.

There are seniors who still haven’t finished their portfolios or haven’t even worked on it. Sleeping in class and lack of motivation to do anything has conquered some seniors and the fear of not walking the day of graduation has become stressful. Try your best to check in with your teachers and ask them for help to keep your grades up.

Medina says, “The best cure for Senioritis is detention, just ask your teacher, they’ll write you up a prescription.”

Seniors let’s keep going! the finish line is right around the corner. Don’t let this stress prevent you from attending your activities. Keep your best foot forward and finish your last school year strong! Like Mr. Church says, “If you need help, please ask.”

4 Responses to “Senioritis affecting the race to Graduation”

1. Robert Morgan on March 27th, 2019 8:18 am

I am really noticing an unitended consequence of the rising minimum wage as I have seniors who are working too many hours in order to help pay the bills at home. This is leading them to fall behind and sleep in many classes. This minimum wage will continue to rise and so will lthe students inability to pay attention due to lack of sleep.

2. Sam on March 27th, 2019 12:58 pm

There’s the stress of classes and overwhelming college applications as the year is almost finishing up. It is terrifying when students have been feeling burnt out.

3. Yvette on March 27th, 2019 2:06 pm

I believe that everyone is different and in handling the stress is different as well but I can say that my friends and I have gone through senioritis but luckily now we have begun to get back on our feet.

4. Alondra on March 27th, 2019 2:13 pm

There has been a lot of stress going on with the seniors because they had been getting prepared for their senior exit interviews but now that the senior interviews passed all that they have been focusing on is graduation and on college applications. This year of 2019 has been the highest year of senioritis. Maybe senioritis is affecting a few seniors but not all of them some of them try to make their best effort in order to get all their work done.

• Senioritis affecting the race to Graduation

Campus News

AP Practice Exams Invade Spring Break

Campus News

Lime Scooters ride into Santa Ana with unprecedented risks

Campus News

GFHS Students Pay the Consequences with Locked Bathrooms on Campus

Campus News

Get Involved by Saving the Environment

Campus News

Michael Cohen’s Testimony: Why Should It Matter?

Campus News

New GFHS Wellness Center Is Here to Help

Campus News

Top 10 of the Most Fierce Ladies in History

Campus News

Save the Environment: Buy a Metal Straw

Campus News

Sex Trafficking is a Reality

Campus News

Overcoming the AP Hustle