Senioritis affecting the race to Graduation

Edwin Ruiz doing what he does the best, sleeping in class.

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado, Staff Writer

The time has come where Spring is in the air and so is Senioritis. Senioritis has affected seniors for as long as high school students have existed. Senioritis, a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, is characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

This year’s senioritis is affecting many of our fellow Grizzlies. With college applications, FAFSA’s, and especially senior portfolios, and senior interviews on the way.

“I feel a little pressured about senior year because its something that I’ve been working for and so far I feel like all the work that my peers and I have been putting hasn’t paid off properly,” states Ana Frutos.

“I feel worn out to a certain extent and I’m nervous of what my future will look like. I feel a kind of disoriented and a bit disorganized. I think we get Senioritis because we get burned out and overwhelmed with everything,” says Frutos.

Seniors are also overwhelmed with work, AP classes, and part-time jobs which add to an already overloaded schedule.

A lot of people are blinded by senior activities: Prom, Grad Nite, Power Puff, etc. But, these are only privileges and can be taken away in a blink of an eye.

“I regret not doing my work and for missing assignments. I have a lot I’m trying to do, two or three of my missing assignments every day to catch up,” says Edwin Ruiz.

Ruiz who won Best Sleeper has a lot of work to catch up on before he can attend these senior events.

“Definitely, Senioritis has been really strong this year,” says English teacher Joel Medina. “The main issue for Senioritis is that seniors get a little bit lazy and the senior starts to look at how much they are missing and how much needs to be done and they are overwhelmed.”

“Make sure to ask someone for help to guide you through the process,” says Medina.

There are seniors who still haven’t finished their portfolios or haven’t even worked on it. Sleeping in class and lack of motivation to do anything has conquered some seniors and the fear of not walking the day of graduation has become stressful. Try your best to check in with your teachers and ask them for help to keep your grades up.

Medina says, “The best cure for Senioritis is detention, just ask your teacher, they’ll write you up a prescription.”

Seniors let’s keep going! the finish line is right around the corner. Don’t let this stress prevent you from attending your activities. Keep your best foot forward and finish your last school year strong! Like Mr. Church says, “If you need help, please ask.”