GFHS Students Pay the Consequences with Locked Bathrooms on Campus

Left+to+right%3A+Alex+Mendoza%2C+Angel+Manzo%2C+Anthony+Canche%2C+Giovanni+Bello%2C+Mario+Campos+outside+of+the+locked+men%27s+restroom.+

Left to right: Alex Mendoza, Angel Manzo, Anthony Canche, Giovanni Bello, Mario Campos outside of the locked men's restroom.

Fabian Mendoza

Fabian Mendoza

Fabian Mendoza

Cynthia Molina and Jonathan Uriostegui

At Godinez Fundamental High School, students have been upset about the restrooms being unavailable throughout the school day.

Students are either tagging, smoking, or drinking in the restrooms. Vandalism is also occurring including paper dispensers being ripped apart off bathroom walls and trash thrown on the floors not in the trash cans.

This has been a problem throughout the school year. Some students refuse to use the restrooms at school because of all the activity that goes on. As Principal Jesse Church said, “Students are saying that they don’t want to go into the restrooms because kids are vaping and stuff like that and they are afraid to go in there.”  

It kinda sucks that we have to pay the consequences for the actions that people are doing”

— Julio Guillen

Freshman, Julio Guillen, is upset by the changes, “It kinda sucks that we have to pay the consequences for the actions that people are doing in the restroom and it is teaching us a lesson to open up our eyes,” he said.

The results of these actions is that not all restrooms are going to be available during the day. Security guards have routine checkups in the restrooms to make sure they stay clean and students are safe.

Assistant Principal Dr. Michael Lee knows that more checks are needed. He said, “Security goes in there, I go in there sometimes. More frequent security visits are necessary for the restrooms.”

During both lunches, the only male restroom that has been open is the restroom by the lunch area. This is a problem because students who have the furthest building from the restroom tend to take longer and lose class time. 

Stacy Valentin
Boys are not the only ones waiting for the restroom. Godinez girls stand and wait for the girls restroom on March 9, 2019 during 2nd lunch.

There are times when students need to go to the downstairs restrooms because the restrooms in between the North Side Building and South Side Building are closed. For Guillen, “ It gets really annoying because I really need to use it and it’s always locked.”

However, during passing periods students need to go to the restroom but there is a line that continues outside the door. Students are frustrated because they end up being late for class and then can receive a tardy card from their teacher.

On the other hand, some students wait for the bell to ring so they can go to the restroom during class. 

If someone is caught doing something that they weren’t supposed to be doing in the restroom they get disciplined.

Church continued, “If someone was tagging right one of two things depending on their history of disciplinary infractions. It’s a little different but usually, it’s restitution, but I don’t think we’ve ever caught someone in the act. We’ve caught it when it goes up, we take it down. We pride ourselves on focusing on the positive aspects of learning as opposed to the negative.”

Restrooms cleaned daily after school but after a full school day, the restrooms are a mess again.

When asked why restrooms are being closed, Church replied, “All of them are open. We do close some of them throughout the day when either someone is in there smoking, someone in there is caught tagging, so we close them to make sure we clean it up to make sure that we can get rid of the smell.”  

No student wants to go do their business in a room that smells like marijuana.

For now, some restrooms stay closed with no idea when they will reopen.  Students, with no other options available to them, just have to wait in line.