Get Involved by Saving the Environment

Jill Lytle, AP Environmental and Biology teacher, reviewing the density of rock levels. Photo taken on March 27 at 10:20 a.m.

Jacqueline Pompa

Jacqueline Pompa

Jacqueline Pompa

Get Involved by Saving the Environment

As demand for new products that are friendly to the environment increases, students and staff at Godinez Fundamental High School, have their own favorite products where they can reduce, reuse and recycle.

March 21, 2019

As a student in the community and not knowing any other city, I have seen our environment change for the worst. As I look around I see nothing else but our community slowly dying with all the factories present in our community. In fact, there is one just by our school, which is why there is an awful smell making our heads hurt.

We should be aware of this because it increases our health issues, just from 2016-2019 asthma rates have increase dramatically and as a student, there are times where I feel hopeless and have thought about leaving the city I was born in.

However, let’s remember that we are the future, and everything depends on us, how we will live in five years is all up to us. People can make a change. Being involved in our community and learning about all the factories and our environment is both helpful to the community but can also help us get our community service hours done.

As a member of an Environmental Justice Program for our community, high school students develop new skills, such as communication, confidence, and are informed about laws we have as residents of Santa Ana. Although saving the environment is constantly mentioned, picking up trash after yourself is not enough when the average citizen can do so much more.

Get involved in your community while still getting your community service hours done.

A.P. Environmental Science and Biology teacher Jill Lytle has observed that when a student shows up to a meeting where adults are the only ones expected, their voice counts twice as much.

Lytle said, “As a science teacher I always encourage my students to be clean and pick up after themselves. I encourage them to do anything they can to help, such as using reusable straws, using paper for a good cause, but more importantly to reduce and recycle.”

As students look to do more in their community and finish their community service hours, they can save the environment one hour and one product at a time.

Save the Environment: Buy a Metal Straw

Metal vs. Plastic Straw, plastic only does more harm than good.

Alexa Penaloza

Alexa Penaloza

Alexa Penaloza

Save the Environment: Buy a Metal Straw

With a new year, many new laws begin taking effect January 01 , one such law is California’s ban on plastic straws. Yes, you can ask for a straw and receive one but it takes away from the overall purpose of removing straws in the first place.

Plastic takes roughly 500 years to completely decompose and is known to negatively affect the environment. The average plastic straw usually ends up in the ocean due to their small and thin size. According to a Scientific Reports article called,  “A Quantitative Analysis Linking Sea Turtle Mortality and Plastic Debris Ingestion”, it has been documented that in the coast of Brazil, approximately 100% of sea turtles were found with plastic debris in their stomachs.

Senior, Ixcel Guzman, says “I started using metal straws because I found out about the harm single use plastic is inflicting in our environment.” Guzman did some research and found a movement called Zero Waste that challenges people to stop their use of materials that are not biodegradable.

It’s been found that sea turtles ingest higher amounts of plastic than any other food, ranging from a single piece to 329 pieces. Known plastic debris deaths are higher than any other sea turtle deaths.

It is estimated that 500 million straws, in the U.S. alone, are used in a single day and roughly eight million tons find their way to our oceans. When it comes down to disposing plastic straws, toxins are released to the air causing more pollution to our environment. When placed in hot drinks, those same toxins go into our drinks and eventually cause health concerns such as a change in estrogen levels.

As a customer who has always relied on straws and is looking to help the environment, metal straws are a perfect alternative. Not only does it help the environment, but they are also affordable and easy to clean.

Metal straws bring great benefits to our environment that are definitely worth mentioning. They are less of an economic cost, results to less waste, and eco-friendly, just to name a few.

AP Environmental Science and Biology teacher, Jill Lytle said, “Plastic straws are much more convenient, to provide your own [metal straw] always takes effort.” Lytle does use metal straws but finds them inconvenient when she forgets to wash them or leaves them at home. Lytle also added, “The thing people forget about reduce, reuse, and recycle is that they are listed in order of importance and what the benefits are.” Lytle means that there is no need for a metal straw when you could just reduce the use of plastic in the first place.

A company that is currently experiencing great success in the metal straw industry is FinalStraw. The company has since reported over 1 million in pre-sales before the first run of production was complete.

Affordable metal straws can also be found at Amazon, Target, and many other retailers that work equally as effective and help the environment.

There is no harm in purchasing a metal straw and ditching the plastic, do what is best for the environment and contribute to the change necessary for our marine life.

1. Hector on May 24th, 2019 8:49 am

5/24/19
    Starting, I do agree with how you guys are saying we are in need of advocation as a whole, this is because climate change is affecting all of us and only we would make a change. Human activity is also making these changes ineffectual as we increase the emissions of greenhouse gases and cause more damage without knowing. I also will try to make a change by volunteering this summer to try and prevent these virulent things that we all cause. Finishing, to help the environment we should also start an entourage and create organizations like other schools who have stepped up to make a change. The negative impacts on the environment are only reverberating as our actions are what need to be the change to prevent these maladies and changes to the world.

2. Heather Pineda on May 24th, 2019 10:31 am

I agree that metal is better than plastic but it’s INEFFECTUAL because people are still going to be littering and it’s going to still THWART the environment because the people are MALIGNANT to earth. I also believe that there is a better way for this solution and it does not reduce things because it’s making everything unstable but we should collect all the trash from the ocean. We should use a big net that does not affect the animals or not trap them it only ASCENDS the trash that people have been wasting. For oil spills, I think we can’t really help with that because it can AFFLICT the animals in the ocean and it already does as well.

3. Leslie Ochoa on September 23rd, 2019 4:13 pm

I believe it was an excellent idea for many new laws to be established in order to ban straws. If we could reduce the use of or even get rid completely of the plastic that ends up in the oceans then that would save many sea creatures. Our world would also avoid being STEEPED with so much plastic in the future. Using metal straws would ENHANCE the environment we live in by making it cleaner and healthy to live in. Each day there is so much contamination and trash that eventually ends up in the ocean. All of that contamination and trash affects us and the sea creatures living in the ocean. It would be a good idea to start using metal straws because if we don’t then we could end up with serious health issues because the air we breathe won’t be so healthy. I agree that we should all do what is best for the environment especially since it does not cost that much to reduce, reuse, and recycle.

4. Alejandra on December 5th, 2019 7:48 am

I am glad that there are solutions coming up. This problem is very OMINOUS and is hurting the environment that we live in. The solution of using metal straws is smart and it is good that people are becoming VIGILANT of the problem. I think that people need to keep BADGEARING others to switch to a better alternative instead of using plastic straws. There has to be a CESSATION to the worldwide problem to keep our environment clean.

Hydro Flasks are Hydrating Students Everywhere on Campus

Junior Miguel Paz trusts his Hydro Flask to get through a long day of classes at Godinez Fundamental High School.

Edwin Alvarez

Edwin Alvarez

Edwin Alvarez

Everywhere on campus, someone has a Hydro Flask.

Hydro Flask is one of the newer trends on campus. The stainless steel bottles sold $210 million globally in 2018, and continues its popularity among teens. In one day we counted about thirty Hydro Flasks around campus. Not only students but teachers use the bottle that Hydro Flasks promises on its website that “cold stays icy cold up to 24 hours.”

“I just got my Hydro Flask recently. It comes in handy especially when it’s lunch and I don’t have to go buy a water bottle because I have my Hydro Flask,” said junior Miguel Paz.

So why is a Hydro Flask better than a water bottle? In the popular blog, Arcadia Power, it states, on average, a Hydro Flask “holds about 32 oz. while the average water bottle is 16 oz. and by using a Hydro Flask you would be saving up to 1,460 water bottles per year.”

The average water bottle costs a $1 while the price of a Hydro Flask ranges from $10 to $25 and keeps water cold and “hot stays steaming hot up to 6 hours,” according to its founders.

Senior Jesus Campos, who uses his Hydro Flask everyday at school, said, “I love my Hydro Flask I have had it for quite a while and honestly, I can’t go back to normal water bottles.”

According to SBG Media, Hydro Flask sales are expected to increase “8 to 10 percent” for 2019 and “as business has doubled in the last three years,” plan on seeing even more of the bulky bottles around campus.

1 Comment
  1. Ivonne Lopez on May 26th, 2019 11:56 pm

5/26/19
    I completely agree with this article because saving the environment is clearly something EMINENT and especially in the times, we’re living since we are slowly but surely ruining our environment and we are COGNIZANT about that, but we seem to be doing very little about it. We really need to be more VIGILANT with what’s happening around us and try and find ways of making a change. The article states that we dont need to do much to make a change we can simply CAJOLE others into switching to metal straws and reusable bottles and tell them how big of a change they would make for the environment. If we can collect over a billion dollars of donations to rebuild a historic cathedral I am sure that we can collect enough to clean the plastic waste that’s flowing all through our oceans and affecting our marine life.

Grizzly Gazette • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in