School stress? Here is How to be your Best

Marisol Garcia

Senior, Yesenia Popoca feeling overwhelmed in AP psychology. Photo was taken March 7, 2019 in Tessa Brown’s classroom

Marisol Garcia- Luis, Staff Writer

“I have had three mental breakdowns this past week,” says senior Celeste Larita. Larita has not literally had three “breakdowns” but she is experiencing mental fatigue.

With many events such as senior interviews, SATs, PSATs, finals, AP testing, prom, and many other things students at Godinez are stressing out.

Many students have to deal with the strain that work brings. This is leading students to have mental fatigue and immense tiredness. This is not okay. Here are some tips on how to help you release stress:

• Take a nap

A nap can help give your mind and body that little break it needs. However, do not take one of those naps that last 6 hours. That will lead you to have less time for stuff like homework and studying leading to more stress. A simple 90-minute nap can help with relaxation and improve one’s mood. Senior, Keila Hipolito, says, “ My number one thing to do when I am stressed is taking a nap.” She explains how it helps get her into a good mood.  “It is almost like a good night’s sleep,” said Hipolito.

Marisol Garcia
Keila Hipolito taking a nap after a long day at school in her Writing 101/102 classroom on Lori Polydoros’s couch on March 7, 2019.
  • Meditate

Taking 5 minutes out of your day to meditate can seriously change your whole day. Right before you get up to start your day you can go on Youtube and search up meditation videos to start the day off feeling relaxed. Meditation helps with breathing, anxiety, and promotes emotional health. So why not give it a shot? You can even spray or burn some oils that help with relaxation, while you meditate.

Karla Areola
Facemasks, from left to right, from Freeman, L’oreal,Yesto and St. Ives that can be used during a girls/ bros day.
  • Have a Girls/ Bros Day

Speaking from experience, having a day for your friends and yourself is a must. You can watch a movie, get food, do facemasks, play a sport or talk about life.  It is a great way to take your mind off things.

It helps create memorable moments to look back at in the future. Just because you have a lot on your plate does not mean you can not make time for yourself. Do not be afraid to take a little break from all the strain in your life.

• Exercise

“I like to go out for a walk and if I have the time I go boxing,” stated Senior Freddy Orozco, when asked how he deals with the stress of waiting for college acceptances.

Exercise is a great way to get your mind off all your stress. It also increases your energy as it releases endorphins into the body. You do not need a gym to work out. You can simply go for a run or do an at-home work-out. It cost $0 to work out. There is no excuse to not give this a try.

• Express your emotions

When you are feeling overwhelmed do not be afraid to let it all out. You could talk to a friend, a family member or anyone you feel comfortable with about all your problems. You could also draw or write what you are feeling in a journal. You could even listen to music that makes you feel good or describes how you feel and have a good cry. Do not try to keep everything bottled up. It can cause frustration and more mental fatigue. You do not need to feel ashamed of the need to talk to someone or cry.

School can be overwhelming, but do not forget to take care of yourself.