Lots of Words, Lots of Actions: My Experience as a Speech Competitor

This photo was taken at Cal State University Long Beach in October 2018. The author, Ashley Beltran is on the far right, third row up.

Courtesy of Godinez Speech team

Courtesy of Godinez Speech team

Courtesy of Godinez Speech team

Ashley Beltran, Staff Writer

At the end of my junior year, there was an announcement about people interested in joining speech class next year. Since I was interested, I attended a meeting regarding what it was. Coming into my senior year, I was fortunate enough to have space in my schedule and decided to take the class.

The Speech program is run by Program Specialist Salvador Tinajero for Santa Ana Unified School District (SAUSD). Tinajero is a former SAUSD student. He graduated from Bradley University and taught at Lathrop Intermediate School where he started teaching students the power of speaking effectively.

Tinajero started the Speech program in Santa Ana three years ago and has expanded the program yearly adding speech programs district-wide in elementary, middle, and high schools.

There are a variety of speeches to choose from in the program. However, we do not debate. If we plan to debate it is usually for the last tournament of the year, which is at Harvard University. My speech is a “DI” which means it is a Dramatic Interpretation called, “A Blind Ear” by Kambri Crews. In my speech, I do sign language and explain how Kambri went through a harsh childhood when she saw her father abuse her mother.

At the start of my senior year, my first tournament was at Cal State University Long Beach. Luckily, I made it to semi-finals and this meant I was eligible to travel to Illinois for the Glenbrooks Tournament in mid-November.

In this tournament, I competed against people who went to Nationals and won. As a result I did horrible, however, I took it as a learning experience. I went back home and kept practicing and redid the blocking for my speech.

Then, I attended a tournament at Bradley University in Illinois towards the end of November. I was nervous based on how I did at my previous tournament but confident that I could place, based on the practice I did. I was lucky enough to place 4th.

Courtesy of Monique Statler
This photo was taken at Bradley University where Godinez students placed. From left to right:  Francisco Nestor, Ashley Beltran  Joshua Perez, Nirvana Hannah and Giselle Herrera.

Moving forward, I went to another traveling tournament in Minnesota towards the end of January. This tournament is considered to be the third hardest tournament in the country. I was scared. I was surprised by how many different people presented their speeches.

Despite my fear, I tried my best and placed 6th.

Then, Monique Statler, our speech teacher, told me I was chosen to go to the last traveling tournament in mid-February at Harvard University. This tournament is considered the largest and most difficult. 

Going to Boston was incredible and unbelievable. Right away, I touched the boot of John Harvard for good luck. As I walked around campus, I felt like a college student going to her classes. Since some classes at Harvard are small, you can hear, if you are close, if they’re being loud.

Courtesy of Godinez Speech Team
This photo was taken at Harvard University, next to Ashley Beltran is Giselle Herrera.

The campus is historical and lovely. On the last day, it started snowing and it was beautiful.

It was great seeing familiar faces of people I have competed against. Going into my rounds, I felt the aura of a competitive atmosphere and everyone wanting to win. I did not place at this tournament but I am thankful for the experience.

From years of tournaments, I learned that there is always room for improvement. From how to present yourself in front of an audience to becoming confident, enunciating words and gaining new friendships.

The next tournament is the Southern California District National Speech and Debate Association 2019 District Qualifying Tournament which takes place March 23rd.

It’s exciting to see where speech will take us the last couple of months of school.

For anyone interested in joining Speech, I definitely recommend it. You never know the outcome and it doesn’t hurt to try.

Who knows, you might realize that you love speaking.

See Ms. Statler in Room 1-262 for details.