Stressing Over 40 hours

For+the+students+who+don%27t+know+where+to+put+their+community+service%2C+it%27s+in+a+folder+at+the+Higher+Ed.+But+before+you+turn+it+in%2C+take+a+picture+to+make+sure+you+have+a+back+up+if+something+happens.+

Stressing Over 40 hours

For the students who don't know where to put their community service, it's in a folder at the Higher Ed. But before you turn it in, take a picture to make sure you have a back up if something happens.

Stacy Valentin

Stacy Valentin

Stacy Valentin

Stacy Valentin, Vice-President of Journalism Club

With less than 50 days of instructional time left and 2 weeks till spring break, due dates are sneaking up on students including community service hours that many students lack. Ohh did you forget? Sacred and have questions? Here are some answers on, community service hours and what is required according to the GFHS handbook.

If community service hour requirements are not met administration takes it into their own hands and seniors are at risk of losing one or more senior activities. So while all your friend, are out having a blast you will be obligated to help on campus the final weeks of school. This is no punishment, but administration hold, seniors accountable for responsibilities as a Grizzly.

Fast easy community service hours can be earned in elementary schools and middle schools because many provide after-school programs that help young kids with material that most likely has been reviewed and is familiar.

Manager of the discipline office, Jessica Fernandez gave some valuable advice. “It helps you decide the career you want to do and opens many doors.” She explained that many students have an idea of what career they want but have no experience with the subject. Community service helps with that problem by taking action and volunteering at any location that provides service.

The requirement is 40 hours and the administration recommend doing 10 hours every year because senior year is busy and completing 40 hours in two weeks can be challenging. For seniors, the deadline is April to make sure students who have not completed it can be helped to succeed.

Administration recommends striving for more than 40 hours because it gets you more time to be out in the community and looks well rounded on your transcript. “We’ve had students that have had a 1000 community service hours,” said Fernandez. Community service hours can be turned in the counseling center there’s a black tray where it is requested to be dropped. Administration recommends taking a picture of hours just in case the papers get lost. Fernandez said, “Godinez students are required to complete community service hours because we push students to strive higher for success.”

Senior Yosune Velazco is one of many seniors who has not completed all community service hours due to a busy schedule, her goal to complete them by the end of March. She recently has been taking advantage of activities her teachers have been providing in class. “I have very little time, but finishing my community service hours is not a big obstacle for me,” Velazco said with optimism.

We also found senior Filiberto Flores Jr who has completed all community service hours and has exceeded the amount. Flores said, “I’ve worried about it every year so having them done feels like a big relief.” He worked hard to complete his community service hours 100+. Flores has done ASB senate and mostly community service hours that have been provided by the school. He’s proud because “it looks more competitive.”

4 Responses to “Stressing Over 40 hours”

1. Mrs. Morgan on March 27th, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks so much, Stacy for writing this important article! Nice job! There is a great community service opportunity coming up on May 25th. It’s the 10th Annual Monarch Butterfly Day at Mile Square Park. They need volunteers to help youngsters (6-12) learn about Monarch Butterflies. You would set up and learn your station from 9-10, work with kids from 10-2, and clean up from 2-3. It’s a fun way to help out in the community. 714-973-6600 or milesqaure @ocparks.com

2. Sam Valdivia on March 27th, 2019 9:44 am

Antoher easy way to gain community service hours is through Tech Crew. Not only is it fun but you get rewarded with hours too.

3. Angel Hernandez on March 27th, 2019 11:51 am

Nice article Stacy.

4. Jasmine Perez on March 27th, 2019 12:59 pm

I believe that community service can make a person more involved in their community as it makes them aware of what is happening.

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

Visionaries Capturing Moments Through the Lens

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

To Lock or Unlock: That is the Question

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

Rich People Pave the Way for Their Kids College Admissions. Are we Surprised?

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Arts & Entertainment

Downtown Santa Ana Welcomes Local Artists

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

2018 Midterm Election

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

Cans to Aid a Cause

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

• Stressing Over 40 hours

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

Stressing Over 40 hours