Club Beat: Art Club

(From the left): Nallely Gomez (junior), Kennia Flores (junior), and Marielena Martinez (junior) they have inspired others to not only draw but to share their thoughts and feeling when it came to the Women’s March.

Helen Seigel

Stephanie Martinez, Staff Writer

Last week Art Club opened it’s classroom doors to anyone and everyone who wanted to draw, write, and paint posters for the upcoming 3rd Annual OC Women’s March. Many people participated in the Women’s March, but it was close to home for some staff and students at Godinez. 

The club’s supervisor, Helen Seigel also made a poster to share at the march. She wore a bandana on the back of her jacket that was created by a group called West Coast Women Unite, based in Oakland. One of her daughters is a member and she designed this bandana, by arranging drawings with different women using the theme of immigration. She was also accompanied by her student-teacher Nena Kellar, a student at UCI who is training to become an art teacher.

“Together We Can Do Anything,” is what was etched across Kenia Flores poster.

Flores stated that, “I was looking through some posters from last year’s march and I liked that one because I think the uterus is a good symbol of girl power.” Flores continued,  “I also liked that it’s spreading a message that together all women can do great things, so instead of putting one another down, we can come together.”

“Behind every successful woman is a tribe of other successful women who have her back,” is exactly how Marielena Martinez felt. 

Martinez said, “the poster is a tribute to the close women in my life, not only my friends but also my little sister. As a tribe (group), we build each other and try to understand each other by asking questions. As women in society, we need to remember that we are society, so if we want to see a change we have to be the change.” 

Approximately half dozen art club students participated in the march. But art club, does many more activities throughout the year.

They meet most Thursdays from 3-4 p.m. in Seigel’s room if you would like to join and create a more beautiful world.