Escape Room: Do you Have What it Takes to Escape?

Photo Courtesy of Original Films

Photo Courtesy of Original Films

Photo Courtesy of Original Films

Olivia Ibarra, Staff Writer

A group, who have never seen each other, each receive a mysterious box in the mail. Inside the box a free invitation to an exclusive Escape Room in Chicago.

The group of millennials show up on the exact date and time specifically set. All of them try to figure out why a corporate hotshot (Jay Ellis), shy college student ( Taylor Russell), a War Veteran from Iraq ( Deborah Ann Woll), a trucker (Tyler Labine), a chain-smoking misfit (Logan Miller) and finally a gaming nerd  from Central Casting (Nik Dodani) are all gathered for an afternoon of team-building exercises in the film “Escape Room.”

Puzzle clues are suppose to be spotted and solved before the group of players are killed in the game. The group discovers a promise that has been made of a “immersive experience” which is really an euphemism for “the repeated life-or-death trials.” These trials were  designed for maximum pain. There are obstacle courses that involve: hypothermia, drowning, plummeting down elevator shafts at fast speeds, poisonous gas and much more.

This movie is like a Ouija Board and scary amusement park all rolled into one. Using your wits and smarts is the essential part of beating the clock in this movie. “Escape Room” is pure no-brainer moviemaking.

Director Adam Robitel and the screenwriters Bragi F. Schut and Maria Melnik were great writers for this film. They both wrote how each of the actors were suppose  to act throughout the entire movie which they did really well. These movie directors and screenwriters know how to do an individual set piece for the chills- and thrills that are shown throughout the movie.

Indeed the connection between the group is that they are desperate. They all live in a world that has never seen any of the “Saw” movies.  The movie is more of a stuck on simmer of a conspiracy plot boiler. One of the best things you can say about “Escape Room” is that for the most part you are not that desperately looking for an exit sign to leave the room.  

I recommend this movie to people who enjoy watching thrillers. This movie has excitement, and chills.  Watching the movie is an adrenaline rush.

I can’t imagine being in a room for so long until I find the right clue. But, you do what it takes to escape the infamous “Escape Room.”