Godinez Boys Soccer Continues to Kick the Competition

As Golden West CIF champs, the team looks to gain another CIF ring

Grizzlies huddling up for a team prayer before the game.

Chris Cornejo

Chris Cornejo

Chris Cornejo

Jonathan Uriostegui, Alex Mendoza

The GFHS soccer team currently has an outstanding record at 14-2-2. And they qualified for CIF.

Every weekday the Grizzlies athletes have their dedicated training schedule from  2- 4:30 p.m. They even practice Saturdays. Before every game, they have a meeting with their coach to discuss strategies about the game and let them know what needs to be done.

Senior, Chris Osuna is a starter playing center defensive midfielder. Before starting a game, Osuna likes to get inspired so he either listens to rap music or watches inspirational soccer videos. “Listening to music really gets me focused,” Osuna said

The music and the soccer videos really help Osuna clear his mind. Osuna said his mindset before a game is to “concentrate on the game and not worry about anything else.”

Junior, David De Niz has been playing varsity since his freshman year. He is a forward and can play middle if coach Ruben Fernandez needs him there. Before games, De Niz has a bad habit of eating candy but for motivation he watches motivational speakers and soccer videos.

Apart from the team’s training schedule, De Niz works on: conditioning, passing, free kicks, or anything he feels like he needs to improve. “On my own time, usually, I just do some fitness and running to stay fit and sometimes I’ll work on things I need to improve,” said De Niz.

you have to overcome those obstacles to keep moving forward”

— Gustavo Adame

Junior, Gustavo Adame, who plays forward and winger, was looking forward to his second year playing varsity until he tore his ACL in a preseason game against Century High School.

“I feel disappointed, sad, and overwhelmed in myself. (But) you have to overcome those obstacles to keep moving forward,” said Adame.

Adame is now waiting for his surgery towards the end of January. He is looking at an 8-month recovery. Although Adame is out for the season, he still attends every game and plans to play senior year more focused and stronger than ever.

“My plan for senior year for the team is just to keep the brotherhood that we have and the bond. We are a really good team. We just have to work as a team every day in practice.” said Adame.

The plan for CIF is to make it far and possibly win it”

— Diego Navarro

The Grizzlies are headed to CIF and are preparing for it. Diego Navarro, starting defender, is ready, ¨I feel amazing about CIF, it’s a great opportunity and it’s a new experience. It’s a chance to grow as a player and for the team to get closer. The plan for CIF is to make it far and possibly win it.”

Adame said, “We are a young team but we are really good. Our chances of winning CIF for the third time is high.”

Godinez Fundamental High School soccer team is a team to pay attention and support at their games. The team will see if they have what it takes to win CIF.

UPDATE: Varsity Boys’ Soccer won their first Golden West League Championship. Their 1st round to CIF is Thursday, Feb. 7th at Valley High School’s Stadium at 4 p.m.