The Happiest Place on Earth Comes with a Price

From Left:

From Left: "Lola" and Megan Blash, accompanied by her mom, Nancy Uffelman, enjoy a day at Calfornia Adventure near Cars Land last summer.

Photo courtesy of Megan Blash

Photo courtesy of Megan Blash

Photo courtesy of Megan Blash

Jessica Garcia, Edwin Alvarez

On Sunday, January 6, 2018, Disneyland announced a ticket price increase due to the $1.1 billion construction of Disney’s newest land: Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in June 2019.

The average increase annually for Disney tickets has been eight percent , depending on new openings or events. The one-day adult Park Hopper ticket rose from $135 to $149, while the price of one-day, one park regular ticket rose from $117 to $129. The one-day value ticket which carries many blocked out dates and holidays rose from $97 to $104.

And the Annual Passports that so many local residents use also felt the sting of a price increase. The Annual Southern California Select Passport which is the most limited and “most affordable” increased from $369 to $399, while the most elite Annual Premier Pass which grants Disneyland and Walt Disney World admission increased from $1,579 to $1,949.

And if you are thinking of parking at Disneyland, make sure to have $25, since Disney raised daily parking by 20 percent.

When it comes to Disneyland, many Grizzlies have different opinions about the most recent price increases.

AP Government and Economics teacher Megan Blash said Disneyland prices is understandable, therefore, the Disney pass in her opinion is worth it since she is able to go for a few hours with her daughter and spend quality time. However, her husband does not plan to renew his pass. Both have had their Disneyland pass since her daughter was one-year-old. “Lola” Blash is now four.

Photo courtesy of Isabella Nevarez
Isabella Nevarez and nephew Kessler at Disneyland during the month of December.

Unlike Blash, freshman Isabella Nevarez and her family are doubtful whether to renew their passes or not.

Nevarez loves Disneyland since she is able to spend quality time with her family. She currently holds the lower tier Southern California Select Passport.

Nevarez expressed, “My family and I are actually really excited for the Star Wars: Galaxy´s Edge opening, but we think it’s a little overpriced.”

Nevarez usually goes to Disneyland once every week and that’s if the dates aren’t blocked. “The only thing I dislike is that many days are blocked. For instance, when it was December we only had about nine days unblocked, and in summer we only have about a week to go,” said Nevarez.

As Nevarez and Blash weigh their options to renew Passports, Disney has stated that annual price increases will occur as long as demand to visit the park continues.