Everybody Has a Story: Ixcel Guzman

Everybody Has a Story: Ixcel Guzman

Ixcel Guzman standing outside Godinez Fundamental High School's gym on January 30, 2019.

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado

Alondra Salgado, Staff Writer

Senior Ixcel Guzman dreams of going to medical school. Guzman is hard working, determined, and humorous. She has dedicated herself in and outside of school.

“I am a young independent woman who wants to help people by becoming a surgeon.”

Guzman’s life hasn’t been easy, she lost her mother at the age of three, she later moved to Mexico during the 2008 recession in which she lived in for a whole year while attended school there.

Her re-entry to the United States was a struggle, she had trouble speaking English, she was put in low classes.  

“I returned to Riverside during 2nd grade and school became really difficult for me because I didn’t speak or understand English. I then moved to Santa Ana and I’ve been here ever since,” said Guzman.

Fortunately, she was able to catch up. She started attending Carr Intermediate and was placed in honor classes. “I started off at Monte Vista taking the really low classes. It wasn’t until the fifth grade when I began to understand English that I was put in a higher class.”

She is an only child raised by a single father. She had moved four times until she and her father were able to afford an apartment. Growing up was difficult as she had to learn to cook, do laundry, and shower herself at a young age. She had to mature. Instead of enjoying her childhood. She spends most of her time taking care of her father by cooking food and completing chores around their home.

“I had to grow up at a faster rate but that made me of stronger character because I learned to be the leader that I am today. I took my experience and turned myself into an independent a person ready to take on the world” stated Guzman.

Her father, Ruben Guzman, said, “My daughter is a responsible person hardworking, studious and has a big desire to overcome any obstacle.”

Throughout high school, Guzman has been an outstanding Grizzly for her involvement in and outside of school. Ixcel is president of the Honor Society, co-president of Godinez Girl Scouts, a member of the Cinema Club, Breakfast Book Club, secretary for ASB Senate and her GPA is a 4.5.

“I volunteer at CHOC Children’s Hospital, Discovery Cube, and Big Brother Big Sisters to learn about my future profession and give back to the community that has given me so many opportunities,¨ said Guzman.

Her love to learn new things is what keeps her motivated even though there are bumps in the road. She doesn’t like to wake up every day to attend school or staying up till 3 a.m. doing homework.

“There are times, although, when I don’t want to get up from my bed after staying up late working and doing my homework but overall, yes, I do enjoy attending school,” she said.

But Guzman has demonstrated that hard work pays off by getting recognized with multiple awards.

Guzman won the President Volunteer Service Award in Gold twice, the Godinez Pride Metal two years, the Perfect G award for also two years, the Great Grizzly award for three years, and the Outstanding Achievement Award. She has an advanced position at her job a Crew Member to a Crew Trainer and at Discovery Cube Core Volunteer to a Team Captain for the Core Volunteers.

As Guzman’s senior year is coming to an end she has her plan set to enroll to a 4-year university and complete her undergraduate degree in Molecular Biology. Her goal in life is to one day become a successful surgeon, own her own home and be able to give back to her father who has put everything to give her a better life.

“My goal in life is to become a surgeon who helps both people and earth by incorporating a zero waste system in my life. I also want to buy my own house and give back to my dad. I would like for that to be my payoff, to provide my family with a better life as my dad did for me.”

Guzman has been accepted to Cal State University at Fullerton and CSU Humboldt. She is waiting for her other school decision and will decide by April which school to attend.