2019 Grammy Awards Predictions and Hope for a Great Program

Courtesy of www.grammy.com

Courtesy of www.grammy.com

Courtesy of www.grammy.com

Fabian Mendoza

The annual GRAMMY Award Ceremonies are highly anticipated for music fanatics and critics alike. Every ceremony causes it’s fair share of controversy surrounding the nominees and the winners.

On February 10th, the 61st GRAMMY Awards will take place in Los Angeles at the Staples Center at 5:00 p.m. With the date rapidly approaching, there is growing buzz of the most popular categories: Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Best Rap Performance, and Best Rap Album. Without a doubt, these are the categories that are hotly debated amongst people that follow music closely.

Here are my predictions:

Record of the year

The GRAMMY Award for Record of the Year consists of songs that dominated the charts and radio play during the year. Often times, the records that have been played and listened to the most throughout the year are nominated for this award. This award is not only presented to the artist that performed the song but is presented to the entire team behind it. ( Producer, Recording Engineer, Mixer, Mastering Engineer). This year’s nominees for Record of the Year are:

• “I Like It” by Cardi B, Bad Bunny, & J Balvin                                    

• “The Joke” by Brandi Carlile
  • “This is America“ by Childish Gambino
  • “God’s Plan” by Drake
  • “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
  • “All the Stars” by Kendrick Lamar and Sza
  • “Rockstar” by Post Malone and 21 Savage
  • “The Middle” by Zedd, Maren Morris, & Grey

The likely contenders for the award are Cardi B, Drake, Kendrick Lamar & Sza, Childish Gambino, or Post Malone & 21 Savage based off of the highly successful year that they had in commercial sales and streams.

Drake and Post Malone broke streaming records on Spotify with the records and albums they released. The music video for “This is America“ took the nation by storm due to the way that the social atmosphere in the country was portrayed.

Regardless of whatever record wins, listeners should be grateful for the amazing year we had in music. However, I believe that “God’s Plan” by Drake will take the award. 

Album of the year

The winner of the Album of the Year award is usually determined based off of the amount of commercial success the album had throughout the year and overall artistry as well as the quality of music. The award is given to the artist that released it, featured artists, producers, recording engineers, mixers, and mastering engineers. It is usual for nominees in the Record of the Year category to also be nominated for Album of the year based off of the individual success of that single. This year’s nominees for Album of the Year are as follow:

• Invasion of Privacy by Cardi B                             

• Scorpion by Drake
  • By the Way, I Forgive You by Brandi Carlile
  • H.E.R by H.E.R
  • Beerbongs & Bentleys by Post Malone
  • Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae
  • Golden Hour by Kacey Musgraves
  • Black Panther: The Album, Music From and Inspired By Kendrick Lamar

It is obvious that the competition for this award is fierce merely due to the amazing albums that are listed as nominees. The winner of this award will definitely feel an immense amount of gratitude to be regarded as the best out of a list in which any album is deserving to win the award.

In my opinion, the album that will most likely take the award home in this category will be Scorpion by Drake. Drake had a colossal year in commercial sales and streams. Scorpion broke records for how much it was streamed when it was first released and it solidified Drake’s status as one of the most successful artists of all time. 

Rap Performance of the year

Rap is widely regarded as the most popular genre across the nation and it now has the statistics to prove it. According to a report done by Nielsen Music, Hip Hop & R&B has surpassed Rock as the most popular genre in America. It is then obvious to see why the Rap Performance of the Year award is among one of the most hotly debated and contested awards of the GRAMMY ceremonies this year. The Rap Performance award is awarded to singles or tracks only. This year’s nominees for best Rap Performance are:

• “ Be Careful” by Cardi B
  • “Nice For What” by Drake
  • “King’s Dead” by Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, Future, and James Blake
  • “Bubblin’” by Anderson Paak.
  • “Sicko Mode” by Travis Scott, Drake, Big Hawk, & Swae Lee

This list is stacked from top to bottom with some of the biggest names in the rap industry. “Sicko Mode” and “Nice For What” lead the competition due to the immense commercial success that both songs experienced throughout the year.

“Sicko Mode” will most likely take the award home due to the success that it experienced on the Billboard charts and the great production behind the track. Assisted by a Drake feature, Travis Scott’s “Sicko Mode” instantly became one of the most popular songs off of Travis’s third album, Astroworld

Rap Album of the year

The award category that has undoubtedly attracted the most attention this year has been the Rap Album of the Year. 2018 was the year in which Rap propelled itself to the top of the music industry with immense amounts of commercial success to prove it. The Rap Album of the Year Award is a highly sought after award that pits the best five albums of that year against each other. This year’s nominees for the Rap Album of the Year are:

• Invasion of Privacy by Cardi B                      

• Swimming by Mac Miller
  • Victory Lap by Nipsey Hussle
  • Daytona by Pusha T
  • Astroworld by Travis Scott

Astroworld catapulted Travis Scott into stardom. Being his most successful album to date, the rapper sits at the top of the rap industry among various other notable names.

However, Pusha T’s seven track album Daytona that was produced entirely by label mate and close friend, Kanye West, boasts an incredible display of lyricism and raw talent. As the G.O.O.D Music president and former member of the rap duo Clipse, Pusha T is no stranger to the essential components that make up what many regard as a “classic” album and it is evident he used them while crafting Daytona.

Mac Miller who unfortunately passed away in 2018 after a drug overdose, received a posthumous nomination for his album Swimming.

When asked about the list as a whole, Senior Jacqueline Merino said, “Although I was distraught when I heard Mac Miller passed away, I’m glad to see that his last album was nominated.”

Merino also said, “I’m excited to see the results on February 10th.”

The Rap Album of the Year award category is one of the most popular award of the ceremony and the winner will make headlines.

Pusha T is the top contender for Album Of The Year according to various critics. The seven-track album produced entirely by Kanye West solidified Pusha T’s position as one of the best lyricists in the rap industry at the moment and it will most likely take the award home for having one of the best albums of 2018. 

The GRAMMY’s will be broadcast on CBS at 5 p.m. on February 10th.