Marching Through an Uncertain Year, Support Shown at the 3rd Annual OC Women’s March

An estimated 15,000 people marched in Downtown Santa Ana.

Alexa Penaloza and Stephanie Lopez

On Saturday, January 19, 2019, over 15,000 women, men, and children joined together in downtown Santa Ana for the third annual Orange County Women’s March.

Many diverse groups came together to march for women’s rights and human rights, hoping for a nation that is supportive of a modern women’s role.

The Women’s March was not just about women. Marchers for the Black Lives Matter movement, the LGBTQ community, and protection for the undocumented living in the United States also showed up to make their voices heard.

Marchers were surrounded by many people who wore statement shirts supporting their causes and colorful signs that were held throughout the 4.5 mile walk. Clever phrases and beautiful art were displayed throughout the wave of signs during the march. A few signs read:  “Still marching, still resisting, still here,” “Women are the wall and Trump will pay,” “Make Orwell Fiction Again” and “Son of powerful, fearless immigrant women.” “He doesn’t even have a dog!” a signs read in regards to President Donald Trump. whose Twitter comments towards women have been disturbing to many.

Godinez Fundamental High School Grizzlies also hit the streets for the march on Saturday and many displayed their colorful signs.

Key Club members volunteered to supervise during the march including Key Club President Diego Solorio who organized close to a dozen Key Club members to volunteer. They were seen throughout the event showcasing their dedication and involvement.

Helen Seigel, art teacher at Godinez, has attended the march twice and helped a few Godinez art students design and make signs on the Friday before the march. Seigel recalls the march being “fantastic” and said, “It is wonderful to see people coming together for a shared cause because we certainly do need to do more together to make this world better.”

Art student, Marielena Martinez, worked on her poster with Seigel for the march. Martinez said, “The poster is a tribute to the closest women in my life.” For Martinez, the poster means that “having a support system to lean on is unmatched… Building relationships with that group is important, they can end up being your best friends or biggest motivators.”

It is estimated between 665,500 to 735,500 people participated in 319 U.S. locations with the largest march taking place in Los Angeles with approximately 200,000 marchers attending. Dozens more marchers took place around the world including marches in Paris, France, Berlin, Germany, and Barcelona, Spain. And countries even further away renewed their involvement by marching in New Zealand, Zambia and Indonesia.

As the march ended around noon, marchers walked backed to their cars for their journey home and the hope that change will come sooner than later.

6 Responses to “Marching Through an Uncertain Year, Support Shown at the 3rd Annual OC Women’s March”

1. Heather Pineda on January 29th, 2019 1:21 pm

I believe that women are laudable because they are very intelligent and are always doing there best and I feel like they make it seem that everything’s feasible. I feel like women are very hardworking and I don’t think we should eschew what they do. I feel like women don’t have much jurisdiction but they really need to have more because they are reprehensible.

2. Eileen Barrera on January 29th, 2019 5:26 pm

The women’s march is a laudable march because women from all over come together to stand up for their rights. People from all over the city came to support. The women of America are inexorable and no one can stop them. Our generation is the incipient of a new movement to make women more equal. Without the past generations, we could not be where we are today. We will move forward with our progress.

3. Liliana Morales on January 29th, 2019 6:38 pm

To me, it’s amazing how our world is standing up for the Women’s right. We have been skirmishing for this for so long having marched in many different places. We have been fray with the government. We have been quell by polices men in the past at many marches that people have done. I know that the world can be able to change women’s rights.

4. Ebony Garcia on January 29th, 2019 6:45 pm

This march started in 2017 when the president (now) had made a statement about women. People then started to protest and would not quell until more women were put into office and started to vote more. I believe that this event is not be eschewed because this helps women who want to stand up for what’s right. They want to have a voice and be heard from others around the world. They had canceled this event because there were perfunctory other cultures, they were concerned that mainly most participants were “overwhelmingly white”.

5. Arlet Hernandez on January 29th, 2019 7:46 pm

As I was looking through the gallery, I felt so repleted with joy seeing how many great women stood up for all women around the world proving indiscriminate people who we are and why we are important. Having this march really should show people that as matrons of our kids, we must be involved in any new choices because of our voice matters for our kids future. A person who can perceive the reasons as to why everyone’s voice matters, especially women, is an intelligent person.

6. Gabriel Mendiola on January 30th, 2019 7:16 am

The Women’s March was said to be a [eminent] march of history. The purpose of the march was to solace the unjust rights women were receiving. The people who were part of the march had to be voluble because there were over 10,000 people present. Even males participated in the march to support women. This goes to show how much the world has changed. Before women were seen as weak, dumb, and useless, but as the years passed they started gaining more rights that now they get the same education as males and some are even smarter.

• Marching Through an Uncertain Year, Support Shown at the 3rd Annual OC Women’s March

Showcase

Do it Yourself Ramen is Easier than You Think

Showcase

The Day I Met Kim Kardashian West

Showcase

Is Big Brother Really Watching You?

Showcase

No Child is Left Behind When it Comes to Housing Insecurity

Showcase

2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Cans to Aid a Cause

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

Showcase

What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy