First District- Wide Literary Arts Festival Coming to Godinez

Mr.+Medina+an+English+teacher+for+freshmen+and+seniors.+

Mr. Medina an English teacher for freshmen and seniors.

Vanessa Saldana

Vanessa Saldana

Vanessa Saldana

Godinez is having their first Literary Arts Festival where our very own grizzlies can join the festival and express themselves in any form of art. From writing poems to writing short stories, grizzlies get the opportunity to use their talent for a competition with a prize behind their work.

You may be wondering what is the Literary Arts Festival about and what exactly is its purpose. Joel Medina, English teacher, at Godinez  said, “This is the first year that Santa Ana Unified is doing the Literary Arts Festival, so this year basically it is an opportunity for students throughout the district to showcase their skills in writing whether that be like writing short stories, creative stories, writing poetry, or doing any type of media art which includes typical type of art see videos things like that.”

He then added, “This year they chose the prompt to be ‘Inspire us’ which is basically anything that inspires you to create or to do something creative they want to hear about that, so what’s happening this year is they call it a festival it’s somewhat of a contest each school is having students create their own pieces and submit them to the school, so the school itself has its own contest and then the top winners from each school are competing against each other for number one in the district essentially.”

“Here we have Godinez student participating, but every school in the district is having their own contest and we’re all going to compete against each other to see who’s the best in the district, the winner for each category, there are three categories; pros which is anything that is not poetry that’s written, poetry, and media art. The top winners in the district get a hundred dollar Amazon gift card, second place winners get a seventy-five dollar gift card, and third place winners get a fifty dollar gift card and twenty students are selected to read or perform their works on February 7th, and the top ten media finalist are going to be showing their work there and all the thirty contestants are going to perform at the ‘Boca De Oro’ Art and Literature Fringe Festival on Saturday March second 2019.”

Vanessa Saldana
Ms. Lara English teacher for the freshman.

When we interviewed Yuri Lara she said, “Something I want the Grizzlies to know about  the Literary Arts Festival is that it is a great opportunity for anyone who is a poet, who’s been writing poetry and is curious to share their poetry it’s a great opportunity for that.”

Lara continues, “This is the first year ever that the district is doing a Literary Festival so we’re very excited that the district wants to show off the talent that we have in the district, it’s exciting that whoever wins first place for each category here in our school will be competing with other first place winners in the other high schools, so we want to show that we have great writers which we do, so any great writer out there we are encouraging you to submit, also we want to offer you an opportunity to do some writing and get some feedback for your poems before you submit your poems so we will be doing that during December 11 and January 10th in my classroom room 1-117. We will be having those writing workshops in my classroom and that will be an opportunity for poets to get feedback on their writing so you can feel confident before they turn in the forms, so come on over and I would really want to see your writing and we really want to help you produce some great poems.”

6 Responses to “First District- Wide Literary Arts Festival Coming to Godinez”

1. Jessica on January 29th, 2019 4:00 pm

I think that having a Literary Arts Festival is an amazing thing for students and it is very laudable that students are gonna be able to be a part of something like this. It is also that teachers are encouraging students who might be dubious to come out of their comfort zone and show their writing skills. It is also great how it is feasible for students to be able to show their writing skills and show their creative side.

2. Nayeli Alvarao on January 29th, 2019 5:06 pm

I feel that the winner would be a laudable person after he/she had the competition because I mean who wouldn’t feel that way. Many students need a confidant in their lives to make sure that they can have better works of art. There are also many dubious students out there who feel like their work is average but don’t want to submit anything. All the students should be cognizant that it’s not about winning it’s about doing what you love to do.

3. Kimberly Perez on January 29th, 2019 5:40 pm

1-29-19
    I really like this literary art festival because it will allow students to quell their need to express themselves through the literary arts. If the students are dubious about their work this article insured the students that there are trusted confidants in the school who they can go to for help.

4. sebastian vaca on January 29th, 2019 8:43 pm

Even if many people loathe to write because they think that writing is just lackluster due to it just being boring or they don’t like writing. And they also think that writing just in general is mundane

5. sebastian vaca on January 29th, 2019 8:48 pm

Even if many people loathe to write because they think that writing is just lackluster due to it just being boring or they don’t like writing. And they also think that writing just in general is mundane. But due to this festival all this all the people that like to write can get some more help and enjoy writing with other people that like stories just like them.

6. Mercedes on January 29th, 2019 10:23 pm

This Literary Arts Festival sounds like a great opportunity for a plethora of students who are adroit artists and writers. To my own chagrin, I regret not participating in this festival. I should have sallied through and wrote up a piece to enter. I will definitely try to join next year. I hope the school gets to read and see the various pieces from Godinez that were entered into the competition. These avid artists’ achievements will be seen as laudable.

• Campus News

Saving the Environment One Product at a Time

• First District- Wide Literary Arts Festival Coming to Godinez

Campus News

Michael Cohen’s Testimony: Why Should It Matter?

Campus News

New GFHS Wellness Center Is Here to Help

Campus News

Top 10 of the Most Fierce Ladies in History

Campus News

Sex Trafficking is a Reality

Campus News

Overcoming the AP Hustle

Campus News

Money Or Extracurriculars? Every Grizzly has a Choice

Campus News

The Happiest Place on Earth Comes with a Price

Campus News

A $1 Billion Missed Opportunity

Campus News

Upcoming Events for your 2019 Calendar