Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible

The newly added artificial turf on Friday, Nov. 30, 2018.

Yesenia Zavala

Yesenia Zavala

Yesenia Zavala

“I believe in curb appeal, I believe in creating a very welcoming environment and I think that a home that’s clean and a home that’s organized is more conducive for students to learn,” said Principal Jesse Church as he talked about his latest project to beautify Godinez’s campus.  

An artificial turf has been added to our campus and it’s just one of the many new additions to our campus.

Whether it’s to hang around with friends or to have a friendly game of soccer, the students are going to be able to use the turf whenever they want.

Having a clean and inviting campus is very important to students and staff because it makes a good first impression to visitors and students from other schools.

Before, there was a giant area of dry grass and dirt that covered what is now the turf. Students won’t have to deal with muddy floors when it rains or have to be embarrassed because there is a patch of unused land right in the middle of the school.

“I hope that it’s aesthetically pleasing, and it beats having dust and dirt flying all over the place. And their shoes won’t get dirty,” added Church.

The turf will take a couple of weeks to be fully finished since they still have to add the big “G” that will be placed in the middle of it. Church mentioned, “We are waiting for them to develop the pattern, and then they’re going to stencil it on.” It will most likely be done by the end of Christmas break.

Since many students saw that a new turf was being set up, they had many questions and theories on what else could be added to our campus. Some students are even protesting that the younger generation of Grizzlies will be getting better additions to the school when they could have had them earlier.

Junior, Gabriela Garcia, expressed, “What he should have done was first make that pool and football field, I remember they promised water polo a pool.” Hopefully, in the near future, our school will be able to have these additions.  

Yesenia Zavala
Juniors, Ana Orozco and Martin Valadez standing in front of the turf Dec. 4, 2018.

The cheerleading team has benefitted from the addition of the turf because they no longer have to practice on the concrete floor. They finally have softer ground to work with.

Cheerleader, Christine Paniagua said, “I’d say one thing is that we no longer have to take out the mats, and we can start practice right away.” If certain fields are being used, then students can go to the turf and practice on it. 

When asked about the new additions to the campus, Church pointed towards the classrooms near the computer lab and said, “There is going to be a learning center for students.” Having these new additions to our school could help many students out with homework or a place to network around after school.

The hope is students will actually use this turf and take advantage because it wasn’t given to the school for free. They can do different activities on it instead of sitting around on their phones and actually get some exercise.

Yesenia Zavala
Freshman class playing flag football on Dec. 4th, 2018.

The only rule for using the turf is the administration asks to not eat or drink on it because it can get damaged.    

20 Responses to “Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible”

1. Mr. Church on December 13th, 2018 10:16 am

There is more to come! Our Parents want it. Our community needs it and our students deserve it! THINK Godinez.

2. Jarely Gonzalez on January 29th, 2019 2:25 pm

I am filled but an abundance of joy seeing that we finally have an area where we can have friendly games with all of our peers. We are cognizant of the rules that we must follow in order to keep our turf in good condition. Sometimes having something new/ nice can lead to a turbulent situation but I am confident that the students of Godinez will not cause an issue regarding the turf.

3. Edgar Hernandez on January 29th, 2019 2:44 pm

the turf is the best thing the school has put since I’ve been here because not only does it make it look good but because the teams could play in and practice in. When the turf barely came out everyone sallied to the field and started playing in it. Everyone in the school was implacable when they first opened it and its a pretty fun and good thing its an area of jurisdiction where it is very well guarded

4. Adriana Meza on January 29th, 2019 5:21 pm

The addition of synthetic turf is able to benefit all groups at our school from both an aesthetically pleasing and convenient viewpoint. Not only will it allow more sports teams to be more accessible to open space, but it will encourage many students who are not involved in sports to engage in physical activity. As a player on the varsity softball team, the turf has made our abilities to become greater athletes feasible as our area has been improved. The once obsolescence area has now been transformed into a very crisp area that opens up the campus and will only bring greater result on the sports fields as long as athletes are willing to put in the work. Although this particular spot was said to be designated specifically for softball, our team is thankful to have been taken into consideration despite the fact that every other sport is eager to use our area that was eschewed before the renovation. In a wholehearted sense, the movement to make Godinez a more pleasant school, as a whole, serves each student great pride to be called grizzlies.

5. Mario Pintor on January 29th, 2019 5:25 pm

It would be really reprehensible if students from Godinez just go and leave their trash there because of the effort that the school has put in to get money for the turf, and you don’t want to have a skirmish with Mr. Church because you won’t win him and you’re just going to make things worst. Then you’re going to be implacable when your parents ground you and then you’re going to regret every bit.

1/28/19

6. Alexander Celestino on January 29th, 2019 5:27 pm

Basically building the turf wasn’t feasible instead, it was tough but possible. I began to deride the new turf, I thought that the turf was useless and a waste of money. Then I started to use the turf during pe and realized that the turf wasn’t a chagrin after all. The new turf was a great addition to the campus.

7. Lizeth on January 29th, 2019 6:32 pm

The artificial turf is a great addition to our campus. Students can sally and play activities on the turf instead of dirt. The students should eschew from damaging the turf. The turf gives a more clean feel than before when there was a monolithic patch of dirt.

8. Mia Saucedo on January 29th, 2019 6:50 pm

The turf is definitely a laudable decision by Mr. Church since it benefits so many sports. It is eminent to follow the rules he has set for us and keep the turf in good shape. Hopefully, this new turf also leads to other things being enhanced around the school.

9. Erick Lopez on January 29th, 2019 9:06 pm

01/29/19
    I found this really good because on windy days after basketball practice I would pass by and there would be dirt flying everywhere it was a fiasco. Now during lunch, I see most students playing on the turf instead of being on their phones and it is not mundane anymore. Students are now being productive and also getting a bit of exercise in and it looks like we could flout our new turf to other schools.

10. Jude Marting on January 29th, 2019 9:31 pm

1/29/19
    The new turf to the school is a great way to (flout) our school. I have to admit I was (dubious) at first, but after seeing how much more efficient it is for many sports I became more (cognizant) at how it has better the school. This turf was certainly worth the hassle and I can not wait to see the next improvement in our school.

11. Allison Flores on January 29th, 2019 10:06 pm

I believe adding turf to our school campus is a very good thing. I know that a lot of students are distraught because some students wanted a pool but the good thing about the turf is that many athletes can practice on it. I don t agree that everyone should use the turf only Soccer, baseball, softball, and football because they have cleats and it will help the athlete to improve. I am distraught that Mr. Church promised a football field because, by the time they build it, I will not be at Godinez. I think Mr. Church should not cajole people that the football field or the pool will be built because students will be upset if Mr.Chuch then decides that it will not be built. But the turf is a very good use for athletes so they can practice more.

12. Ernie Martinez on January 29th, 2019 10:19 pm

Students LOATHE change in the school like a pool or a football field and I think the turf was a good extension since I have personally used it for soccer and do like it very much, Sometimes I see the FRENZY of the students using it and I’m glad people are at least using it. Hopefully, student continues to appreciate the good changes and there is hopefully more to come. For some people, it may seem INANE but in my opinion its a start to a lot of changes.

13. Damien on January 29th, 2019 10:20 pm

I like the fact that Mr. Church is trying to enhance our school. The first step he took in trying to improve the school is adding the turf. When the turf was being built a throng of people had questions on what the next addition to our school will be. The turf is the incipient for the future of Godinez. (1/29/19)

14. Yuliana Acevedo on January 29th, 2019 10:35 pm

I was glad to hear that a turf of artificial grass will be added to the campus because of the terrible paroxysm of the dirt. It would definitely be harassment whenever it rained and we had to go through that muddy dirt. The new turf also quelled the worry to dirty our shoes. Us students have to show gratitude by keeping it in a good condition.

15. Cesar Estrada on January 29th, 2019 10:38 pm

I think the turf is a great investment because anyone can use it whenever they want. I know me and the football team sallied to the field when it was finished because we were really excited to try it out. I’m a little chagrin because we haven’t gotten the “G” in the middle of the turf yet. Even though it was promised to be done after winter break. Now I know a lot of people will want to deride the turf but I think it’s really good. Hopefully, the future generations of grizzlies enjoy it as much as we do.

16. Yahir Angeles on January 29th, 2019 10:40 pm

I feel as if the new turf on campus has been a great addition although it has left multiple students to stymie since some feel as if it was pointless for the reason being that those students don’t visit that area during lunch or passing periods. On the other hand, other students flout the turf and use it to play soccer or football during lunch, other sports such as softball have also found good use to the turf and used it to practice after school. Furthermore, the entire school is cognizant that there is a turf field and of course everyone has different opinions on how the money was spent but at the end of the day the turf field helps keep students more active and gives them another activity during lunch.
    Stymie
    Flout
    Cognizant

17. Chris Reynaga on January 30th, 2019 12:49 am

The new turf that Mr. Church has added to Godinez is superbly satisfying. Once the aesthetic field was ready to be used students were skirmishing all over it and were happy. This comes to show that Mr. Church just can’t be reprehended of how good of a principal he is. His implacable good decisions benefit our school greatly because he promises us something and he is able to comply to it.

18. Brenda Alegria on January 30th, 2019 7:24 am

This new addition has made many students become more vigilant about the new improvements made to our school. These new enhancements made to our school makes our campus better for future grizzlies. The addition of the turf was not a flagrant decision since it is useful to many students .

19. Marc Flores (January 29) on January 30th, 2019 9:19 am

I’m pleased to hear adding the new turf is feasible after a week of consternation including what the workers were doing to what used to be a pile of grass and dirt. This was a laudable decision from the principle as what might seem just as a plain pile of “grass” actually provides many types of opportunities for students. It’s more pleasing actually seeing the students taking advantage of the turf and are definitely enjoying themselves on the turf. I’m also more glad the principle is trying to eschew potential problems that could turn the turf into a fiasco.

20. Danna on January 30th, 2019 5:57 pm

I believe that students were able to prognosticate new changes coming to Godinez due to the fact that Mr.Church would speak about making Godinez a better place for students in order to make them feel safe and proud. I believe that Godinez is an eminent High school
    and its good that Mr.Church repletes Godinez with better supplies and logos to show pride in our school.

• Campus News

Saving the Environment One Product at a Time

• Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible

Campus News

Michael Cohen’s Testimony: Why Should It Matter?

Campus News

New GFHS Wellness Center Is Here to Help

Campus News

Top 10 of the Most Fierce Ladies in History

Campus News

Sex Trafficking is a Reality

Campus News

Overcoming the AP Hustle

Campus News

Money Or Extracurriculars? Every Grizzly has a Choice

Campus News

The Happiest Place on Earth Comes with a Price

Campus News

A $1 Billion Missed Opportunity

Campus News

Upcoming Events for your 2019 Calendar