A Day in the Life of the Hardest Working Person on Campus

Aguilar smiling before he continues doing his job.

Ashley Beltran

Ashley Beltran

Ashley Beltran

Ashley Beltran, Staff Writer

You’d be surprised how much a person can accomplish in one day. As high school students, our life is consumed by our academics and extracurricular activities. But what about our hard-working custodians? Besides picking up trash during lunch, they do so much more. With the sound of multiple keys clicking against each other… coming down the hall is Leobardo Aguilar.

Aguilar, our lead custodian, believes that the job tasks of a janitor are to make sure the school is open and safe. Everything needs to be ready and in working condition for every single staff member and student every day. This is more than just cleaning. Aguilar does his best to make Godinez an open, clean environment along with the other day custodians Victor and Omar.

A day for him varies as every day is different. There are times when he comes to school at 6 a.m. while other days he comes as early as 4 a.m. Aguilar doesn’t mind being busy, however, the work comes to him, and while it can be hard at times, it keeps him active.

Aguilar’s day ends around 3 p.m. where he needs to put all his supplies away and call it a day. He has to leave right away before someone needs his help because when someone needs him then someone else needs him.

After work, he usually takes a nap or keeps himself busy. At home cutting the grass, painting and is currently remodeling one of his bedrooms.

When asked what has been his worst experience as the lead custodian, he said it was when they broke into his office and stole thousands of dollars of his janitorial supplies. It was a horrible day since Aguilar needed those supplies in order to work. His best experience is he is happy and in good health. He is blessed to have a job and to work for SAUSD for approximately 33 years.

The best compliment he has received? Aguilar said “When Mr. Church says the campus looks good. When he tells you something it is positive. Of course, I want do more and keep the school in shape.”

Ashley Beltran
Aguilar fixing the door in the first building top floor

Aguilar said that it is great working with the students and staff. Next time, you see Aguilar or any other custodian tell them thank you. These members not only do so much for you but for our school too, and we need to appreciate them for their work.

45 Responses to “A Day in the Life of the Hardest Working Person on Campus”

1. Ariel Ortega on December 4th, 2018 10:16 am

I can relate to the janitors in a way because my dad is a janitor for a company that uses many chemicals that are acidic, dangerous or even explosive. I respect the work that a janitor does and I say that the janitors here are doing a great job.

2. Alyssa Mendoza on January 29th, 2019 10:54 am

I think the janitors here are doing a great job keeping the school clean and in good shape for the students and staff. The drudgery days that they work are very exhausting and they still have to get up and do it the next day. I’m pretty sure that there are parts of their job that they disdain but they still have to do it to keep the school in good shape. I hope that the janitors are proud of the hard work that they put in every day for the students and staff. I like how they are all kind and when someone implores to get something fixed or cleaned, they agree to help. 1-29-19

3. Daniel Marquez on January 29th, 2019 1:08 pm

I also feel like I can relate to understanding how hard a janitors work can be because a janitor doesn’t just clean up after you when you eat they clean up after you for everything because the mess that you make he will always have to clean it up.

4. Hector on January 29th, 2019 3:39 pm

After reading this article, I feel like one would have a fray to who the hardest working person on our campus is, but in my opinion I honestly do believe that Mr.Aguilar is irreplaceable based on his desire to help others on campus. Adding, Mr.Aguilar has shown himself to be ones confidant and call for help. Lastly, the article gives us sophomores and new students coming in a better perspective on Mr.Aguilar and how we should not disparage his work but compliment his work ethic, as he only makes our school better than it already is!

5. Alyssa Mendoza on January 29th, 2019 4:14 pm

I think the janitors here are doing an amazing job at keeping the school clean and presentable for the students and staff. The janitors have drudgery days and they get home late on some days where there is a lot of extra work. When a student or staff member implores for help, the janitors happily help. Although they might disdain some parts of their job, they still do it at 110%.

6. Amanda Mendoza on January 29th, 2019 4:44 pm

1/29/19
    I can’t imagine what a voracious and interminable this job is. I am grateful that we have vigilant and avid custodians to make our school clean and in good shape. Thank you to Aguilar Victor and Omar for making our school great every day.

7. Andrea Barroso on January 29th, 2019 5:55 pm

January 29th, 2019 –
    The janitors at Godinez are very hard-working and . They are very inspirational and about their job. The janitors being able to do their job helps keep the campus clean. It benefits in many different ways. It the school and helps the campus keep its reputation. It’s great to know that the janitors at our school are reliable and are doing a terrific job.

8. Javier Procopio on January 29th, 2019 6:05 pm

A janitor is very eminent because he helps to check if everything around the school campus is working properly. Our janitor Aguilar is so steeped in his job that he would come to school around 6 a.m or sometimes 4 a.m just so the campus could be clean and have things organized. Custodians work very hard so the school can be clean and fix things that need to be fixed. We need to perceive each of the janitor’s job because they do so much work for the school and the students. That’s why we should always say thank you to the janitors and appreciate them.

9. Erick Garcia on January 29th, 2019 6:06 pm

1-29-19
    I personally and honestly believe that we should treat our beloved janitors better. Don’t get me wrong, we should treat everyone better but the custodians, they’re somewhat less thought about by the majority. I make this assumption as I see people everyday carelessly leave their trash anywhere they feel like it as if it’s something they would do at home. Some people just have perverse actions and it’s annoying. To some, this might be a great consternation as it frustrates many that others have to pick up their mess.I believe that we as students should avoid fray and do our jobs as a school and do our part to keep this as a welcoming environment.

10. Daniela Martinez on January 29th, 2019 6:21 pm

Our custodians are laudable! He does his hardest to clean up the fiasco after back-to-school, open house, dances, or winter formal. We need to quell the mess that we cause so they don’t have to suffer so much to clean up our mess. You are very much appreciated!

11. Daisy Roman on January 29th, 2019 7:28 pm

I respect the work that janitors do for our school and for the students and administrators. All the janitors, including Leobardo Aguilar, are in a paroxysm of determination to keep our campus in order and open to everyone. Aguilar seems so kind and not willing to harass anyone. I can discern he’s a confidant for many people at our school.

12. Christopher Sanchez on January 29th, 2019 7:30 pm

In my opinion, I feel like people deride the job as a custodian because they think that the job is just picking up trash or cleaning. However, this drudgery isn’t just that it involves much more and people don’t see the hard work he puts in to keep the campus clean and safe. He enhances the campus for us and the visitors to give them a good and warm feeling entering the school.

13. Bianca Cardenas on January 29th, 2019 7:40 pm

The drudgery janitors have to finish before going home is time consuming and exhausting. Although some of their work seems mundane, they complete each task keeping the students in mind, striving for a clean campus that students can enjoy. Some of their tasks seem relentless, but they tolerate each task so students can have a clean campus. In my opinion janitors deserve more gratitude and appreciation for the hard work they do everyday.

14. Christopher Sanchez on January 29th, 2019 7:42 pm

In my opinion, people don’t perceive the hard work that is being done by him. People aren’t vigilant of the things he does to keep the school safe. Some people deride the job of a janitor but in reality, if it weren’t for those janitors most places would be really dirty and things that brake would no longer be fixed because there isn’t a janitor to enhance those broken things.

15. jenny on January 29th, 2019 7:52 pm

I am so grateful for the inexorable work that Mr.Aguilar puts in every day for our school campus can look nice. I didn’t know that sometimes he comes really early such as 4:00 in the morning just to have our school safe and clean. That really makes me happy and the next time I see him I will admonish him to tell him how thankful we are to have him. We all should discern how hard all of our staff members work and be grateful and more appreciative.

16. Paola Ramos on January 29th, 2019 7:56 pm

Although many people may not notice, Aguilar is really laudable because he works very hard in order to keep us safe and our school clean. Those who do not appreciate the work he does may think being a janitor is perfunctory but they are disparaging him because having a job like this requires dedication because of the things they deal with.

1/29/19

17. jess hernandez on January 29th, 2019 8:34 pm

By the looks of our campus, you can tell the custodians don’t do their job in a perfunctory manner. Many might think that it’s not feasible to keep our entire campus clean but we shouldn’t deride our custodians. Thanks to them, not only do they clean our campus, but they also make sure every day that everything is in working conditions for all of us.

18. Joanna Salazar on January 29th, 2019 8:40 pm

I think us students should discern the work of janitors and custodians. They work really hard. I think the students should be more precocious and clean up after themselves after lunch. It is perfunctory work to pick up your trash and throw it away instead of leaving it there for someone else to clean it up. It will help keep the campus clean and make work easier for Aguilar and the rest of the custodians.

19. Daniela M. on January 29th, 2019 8:49 pm

I really enjoyed this article because I feel like many students don’t discern all the work and effort that goes into making the school clean and organized. Many students usually don’t see Leobardo or other custodians around campus which is another reason why students assume their work is perfunctory or disparage it. However, this article gives more insight into what they do and how difficult it truly is.

20. Samantha V. on January 29th, 2019 9:06 pm

There is no doubt that our janitors try to our school campus
    with students and staff. Every day, our janitors the amount of trash we . Instead of creating more work for our janitors we should to clean up our own mess.

21. Ivonne Lopez on January 29th, 2019 9:15 pm

The janitors are a really big factor in our school since without them the school would probably be a mess. You can see the avidness they put into making our school look better and we should really thank them for that since not many people are willing to do that. We can all concur that thanks to the janitors our school looks clean and presentable. Not many people are cognizant about how hard our janitors work which should change because they’re the people that work the most at our school.

22. Samantha V. on January 29th, 2019 9:19 pm

There is no doubt that our janitors try to our school campus with students and staff. Each day, our janitors the campus we , but they never complain. I believe we should make their work easier and to clean up after ourselves.

23. Samantha V. on January 29th, 2019 9:23 pm

There is no doubt that our janitors try to enhance our school campus replete with students and staff. Each day, our avid janitors tolerate the sordid campus we fabricate, but they never complain. To show our appreciation for them, I believe we should make their work easier and concur to clean up after ourselves.

24. Daniel Gonzalez on January 29th, 2019 9:40 pm

I really respect our janitor staff that keeps our school clean. They do a laudable job at keeping the school clean and I admire his effort. Everything at our school is obsolescent and requires fixing every once in a while. I thought it was common to see a janitor sallying to a location to fix something but now I know that it requires a lot of time and hard work. I am happy to have a janitorial staff that cares so much about this school.

25. Ernie Martinez on January 29th, 2019 9:54 pm

I appreciate the fact that our school is very clean since I have been to other schools ad they are nothing close to Godinez and that I thank the custodians who work hard to bring a sanitary environment to the students and we should thank him. Sometimes people aren’t giving credit for what they really deserve and I am happy some people do and once again thank the custodians for their time and commitment

26. Angelica Hernandez on January 29th, 2019 10:22 pm

Tangible work can be very difficult at times and it can be a big handful. I truly appreciate our custodians and their effort to keep our campus looking nice and clean. I often see some custodians cleaning the dregs of other students throughout lunch, keeping our campus clean. In our SAUSD district, I believe people like our custodian Leobardo Aguilar are laudable and deserve more recognition. I would like to thank the janitors for their hard work, they are doing a great job.

27. Ramy Alhawari on January 29th, 2019 10:26 pm

1/29/19
    Our janitors are so laudable with all of the work they’ve done. They are the hardest working staff members on this campus. They have quelled most of the trash and graffiti that has vandalized the school ground. They always fix the fiascos that the students create.

28. Jose Flores on January 29th, 2019 11:06 pm

Aguilar is an inexorable working person that works hard to keep the school in a clean environment. Every time I go to godniez it´s mostly never sordid. In school, all the equipment in jurisdictional order. Hopefully, the felons got caught for stealing his equipment to do his job. Aguilar is really eminent to the school making it clean and safe to the students.

29. Jennifer Renteria on January 29th, 2019 11:35 pm

Mr. Aguilar is very avid about his job and he enhances the way the campus looks. His help is eminent to this school and is appreciated by everyone. I think that he does a very good job of keeping our campus clean and his adroit work should be more recognized. There are some inadvertent students that don’t throw away their trash and they should be reprimanded. I think that all the janitors do a great job at keeping our campus looking clean.

30. Josue Arellano on January 29th, 2019 11:37 pm

Mr. Aguilar is a janitor that everyone in the school is thankful to have. Everyone in the school that Mr. Aguilar is a person that students should look up to.

31. Jimena Lopez (1/29/19) on January 29th, 2019 11:50 pm

My parents, too, have had janitor jobs and been robbed, I hope those responsible for both robbings are reprehended by the law or bad karma. Honestly, janitors are underappreciated people and a monolithically important part of the school. it should be arbitrary to not thank them well when seeing them, for their hard work.

32. Briana Hernandez on January 30th, 2019 1:01 am

I believe that the custodians in our school are laudable and their jobs should not be derided because they are an important part of the school staff. From this article, I see that being a custodian is not a perfunctory job and requires hard work and much time. More students should learn to appreciate the work of the custodians since they always have to pick up after them after lunch.

33. Irma Mateo on January 30th, 2019 1:46 am

I agree with the title of this article, I agree because being a custodian takes a lot of responsibility and hard work because our school is big. Aguilar is very hardworking and we can say that he is a confidant because we have seen positive changes on our campus. From this article, I have learned to be more grateful for our staff especially our custodian because they all have a paroxysm of determination to help students be successful. Not only the staff should be hardworking but also us the students, we can help our school be better by not doing anything reprehensible that could damage the school.

34. Daniel Marquez on January 30th, 2019 7:39 am

I also feel like if I could relate because most of the time after school I would have to go help my cousins and my tio’s because they had needed help at the restaurant. Sure enough, I was the janitor or a bus boy meaning I had to clean up the mess that people make and so on. This job is not easy because you would think its just the tables they clean up but it’s not because the janitor has to also clean the restroom and more. I would like to thank our janitors for doing such an amazing job of keeping the campus clean.

35. Andrea Pina on January 30th, 2019 7:49 am

I think the laudable janitors at this school do not receive the credit they deserve. This school would be a total fiasco if it weren’t for the janitors helping around the school and picking up after the students who apparently can’t pick up after themselves. They tolerate a lot at this school and are very helpful. Some might not notice them around, but we would definitely notice if they weren’t around

36. Josue Lechuga on January 30th, 2019 8:27 am

The amount of work that our beloved janitor, Leobardo Aguilar. puts in is very appreciated. Leobardo Aguilar is very steeped into keeping the school clean and safe for everyone. The job that our janitor completes every day is very eminent. If the school did not have a janitor, then the school would be repleted with trash and filth. To add on to our janitor, he is always badgered to do extra work for people who need help. Thanks to Aguilar we have a wonderful clean school.

37. Esperanza Lopez on January 30th, 2019 8:28 am

Mr. Aguilar’s affluent attitude towards making our campus clean everyday reminds me that the little things count in life. His actions sally to make the students at Godinez happy and healthy. Without him, this school would be a fiasco and everybody would be walking on trash everyday. His laudable effort, as well as the other janitors, inspire me to keep my house cleaning as well as my work space. 1/30/19

38. Jovanna Gazano on January 30th, 2019 8:30 am

I feel enlightened in knowing that the school has a confidant that helps the school to stay safe and clean. In my opinion, I’m dubious that anyone who knows Mr. Aguilar thinks that he is not hardworking because from this article you can already tell how much effort he puts into his work. You can also tell by looking at how clean the school is. Kids who leave their trash at the lunch tables must quell because it’s not student- like and not nice to leave it for the custodians to do.

39. Martin Meza on January 30th, 2019 9:41 am

I feel very lucky to have a clean campus and that’s thanks to our school janitor. some people might deride janitors but without them many places such as schools and companies etc. might not even have a sanitary environment. I am very thankful for our janitors here at Godinez and they are very laudable. The janitor’s hard work has aspired me to keep my home and area around me clean.

40. Karla on January 30th, 2019 9:50 am

Without the work of Mr. Aguilar, the school wouldn’t be as laudable like it has been. I find it reprehensible when a student talks badly about the custodians or the lunch ladies who help also help with the lunch area. At times Mr. Aguilar will do work that he isn’t told to do just to make the school look better and much cleaner. Mr. Agular is the most eminent custodian any school can have.

41. Melanie Zepeda on January 30th, 2019 9:59 am

I am very glad that Mr. Aguilar took a precocious approach to his supplies being taken away because I myself would have been in a paroxysm of rage if that would have happened due to it being an arbitrary and unreasonable ordeal. Thankfully, I am extremely grateful to know that we have an amazing custodian that takes care of the campus.

42. Andy Hernandez on January 30th, 2019 10:42 am

It enlightens me knowing that we have a person that works hard in order to keep our school clean. Without him, this school would be a fiasco due to all the kids leaving their trash at the lunch tables. This is very cool since he is always badgered into cleaning but he does it because he cares about this school and the students.

43. Estefany Martinez on January 30th, 2019 10:43 am

It is nice to see that our custodians are very perfunctory when doing their work and we should appreciate their efforts. Mr. Aguilar is very steeped into keeping our campus clean so it looks good when we the school has visitors. His hard work gives him an advantage to sally and does other work that has to be done.

44. David Ramirez on January 30th, 2019 12:50 pm

I think that janitors are widely underappreciated by people. They do all the difficult jobs on campus and stay here after school as well. Their work is laudable and rather than being appreciated, they are flouted and used for tasks without being thanked.

45. Gerardo Jerry Ramirez on February 4th, 2019 9:32 pm

Personally, I never take the time to thank Mr. Aguilar for what he does for Godinez high school, but I without him the whole school would be a fiasco with the trash cans overfilling and not picking up our trash when the lunch bell rings. Mr. Aguilar is very steeped in having a clean environment at our school so it can also be a safe learning environment. I think Mr.Aguilar should be noticed more on Godinez Social Media because his adroit work should be recognized since at the end of the day its the little things that count.

• A Day in the Life of the Hardest Working Person on Campus

Campus News

Overcoming the AP Hustle

Campus News

Money Or Extracurriculars? Every Grizzly has a Choice

Campus News

The Happiest Place on Earth Comes with a Price

Campus News

A $1 Billion Missed Opportunity

Campus News

Upcoming Events for your 2019 Calendar

Campus News

United States Government Shuts Down the Chance of Financial Stability for Federal Workers

Campus News

Taking the Bus Leads to Unwanted Adventure

Campus News

First District- Wide Literary Arts Festival Coming to Godinez

Campus News

Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible

Campus News

New Teachers Land on Godinez Campus