Memories Created by the Sound of Music

Godinez  marching band and color guard perform at the SAUSD Showcase on Nov. 14, 2018, at Santa Ana Sports Complex
Photo by:Aristeo Miranda

Aristeo Miranda

Godinez marching band and color guard perform at the SAUSD Showcase on Nov. 14, 2018, at Santa Ana Sports Complex Photo by:Aristeo Miranda

Aristeo Miranda, Staff Writer

“Godinez you may now take the field.” And with that announcement, Godinez Fundamental High School´s marching band stepped on to the field hoping to wow the audience with their performance.

Godinez band has been performing poorly in the majority of their competitions this past year. This showcase was one last chance to show what they got.

But this showcase is not about showing who is the best and who is the worst. SAUSD is about enjoying band performance, one last time as they play for friends, families, staff, students, and every school in Santa Ana.

There were performances by Godinez, Saddleback, Santa Ana, Segerstrom, and Valley High Schools. Sadly, there was no performance by Century high school as they did not attend the event.

Senior Aldahir Martinez, who plays flute enjoyed every school’s performance “ They did an amazing job, especially Santa Ana, they had a really good show this year,” said Martinez.

Godinez performed well and many people believed it was the best performance they had in the whole season. Santa Ana known as the “Marching Saints” performed the best show and Valley performed a fun routine with the dances and songs titled “Your Mom’s Playlist.”

What matters the most was how the band enjoyed the experience and memories they created. “I feel sad that marching band has come to an end but I’m glad we got to perform one last time. I’ll miss being able to hang out with friends during practice,” said Martinez.

Senior Elsa Macedo, in color guard, felt emotional with the last performance. “I was excited about the performance but sad at the same time since I spent a lot of time with the team since summer,” said Macedo.

Daniela Martinez, sophomore in color guard enjoyed this season and created memories with the team. “The last performance was one of the best as we gave it our all and it was worth it. I am going to miss the sisterhood we created and all the laughs,” said Martinez.

Friends, families, students, and staff enjoyed this one last time as the marching season comes to an end. In the end, every band got together and performed “Pretty Fly for a White Guy” and “ Kashmir.”

As the show ended at 9 p.m. the band walked off the field one last time.

7 Responses to “Memories Created by the Sound of Music”

1. Catherine on December 3rd, 2018 9:14 am

I think the marching band did very good at the performances and should be proud that they were a part of the experience.

2. aviara on December 3rd, 2018 9:15 am

All that matters is the marching band enjoyed themselves and they made memories. They created a great bond with each other, and definitely leave an impact on the school.

3. eileen on December 3rd, 2018 9:17 am

Music and performing have brought together many students and is a great way to make friends. Although some performances may not be that great, the bond they have is.

4. Carlos on December 3rd, 2018 10:08 am

I think these are the moments that seniors should cherish because you won’t live another life with these kinds of memories. Sure sometimes you won’t win on something you love doing but thats ok. If you love what you do then live the moment because who knows what life has to offer.

5. Monica C. on December 13th, 2018 8:27 am

As an alumni of Santa Ana High School’s Marching Saints, I am very proud of both my alma mater and Godinez’s Marching Band. I agree with one of the comments, it doesn’t matter if you have a winning season or a losing season; it’s about creating memories and experiencing music in a whole new setting. These students only live through high school once and participating in this activity is once-in-a-lifetime unless they go on and march at a college/university. For Godinez, I believe this is the second year having a marching band rather than a pep band so transitioning to marching competition will take some time but the band will get there. I don’t speak for him but I know Mr. Santos is proud of his students for putting in all the work and their ability to be flexible with the nature of marching performance.

6. Michelle Ramos on January 29th, 2019 1:09 pm

I really enjoyed reading this article, especially because I was able to be a part of the event. Throughout the season many of us were dubious about how the final performance was going to turn out. Many seniors and other students were in a paroxysm because this season was going to be their last. By being a part of the band made me gain a few confidantes by spending so much time with the same people for about 12 hours.

7. Daniela Martinez on January 29th, 2019 5:47 pm

Taking it from someone who was on the Colorguard team, it was very hard at first to learn the fast routine. We had to spin, toss, run, smile, and have fun without losing our concentration. It soon began to be feasible as we began to practice more often. At first, it was very perfunctory because no one really knew much about the team up until football games when we showed them what we got. Up until this day, I think our SAUSD showcase was very laudable and I’m glad more people take our hard work into consideration.

• Memories Created by the Sound of Music

Campus News

Overcoming the AP Hustle

Campus News

Money Or Extracurriculars? Every Grizzly has a Choice

Campus News

The Happiest Place on Earth Comes with a Price

Campus News

A $1 Billion Missed Opportunity

Campus News

Upcoming Events for your 2019 Calendar

Campus News

United States Government Shuts Down the Chance of Financial Stability for Federal Workers

Campus News

Taking the Bus Leads to Unwanted Adventure

Campus News

First District- Wide Literary Arts Festival Coming to Godinez

Campus News

Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible

Campus News

A Day in the Life of the Hardest Working Person on Campus

Memories Created by the Sound of Music