A Taste of Santa Ana’s Music: Red Roulette

+%28From+left+to+right%29+Guitarist+Chris+Munoz%2C+Guitarist+and+Singer+Brandon+Mazon%2C++Drummer+Yoshi+Garcia%2C+Danny+Rico%2C+Irvin+Martinez%0A

(From left to right) Guitarist Chris Munoz, Guitarist and Singer Brandon Mazon,  Drummer Yoshi Garcia, Danny Rico, Irvin Martinez

(From left to right) Guitarist Chris Munoz, Guitarist and Singer Brandon Mazon, Drummer Yoshi Garcia, Danny Rico, Irvin Martinez

Stacy Valentin

Stacy Valentin

Stacy Valentin

Steve Pineda, Staff Writer

At face value, the culture of Santa Ana is formal, deeply rooted in the Hispanic foundations of its people. Red Roulette however, is a counterculture of the counterculture built up from  discrete 4th St venues housing a new era of punk rock. In a culture clouded in harsh sound and quick wit, the five piece band takes a slower, more introspective take on their problems surrounding them.

Brandon Mazon, guitarist and vocals, decided to flip the switch when he founded Red Roulette. Rather than focusing “girls and being depressed”, he went towards the more real problems that surrounded the daily lives of people. Looking throughout lyricism in their genre, or scene to be more fair, those types of lyrics are exactly what the genre is. But what makes these people stand out is their dedication to being themselves, creating their own space for creativity rather than riding on the coattails of their past influences.

The sound itself of Red Roulette, is definitely not the traditional type of sound you might expect when looking at the music they are surrounded by. Red Roulette’s musicians all focus on heavy influences from free form jazz. Their free form style creates more room for an unrestricted showcase of creativity. The fascinating act of drawing influences from a genre that the public would never see as one to play as a role model for the punk rockers of today drew the attention of their following instantly.

Although Red Roulette remains relatively new, their work motive has already rivals the ethics of veterans. When asked about the way they release their music, Mazon answered that “We release music whenever we can, we don’t wait months just to release music”. Their spontaneous release dates plays into their free form image, differentiating even their ways of release from the scene.

Red Roulette, simply yet boils down to experimentation in all nuances of themselves. Whether they were a three piece band to a now larger five piece band, they will always continue to be a growing, non conformist work of art. “It’s all about experimenting and that’s what we’re going to do here tonight.”, Mazon said before he went on to play and showcase just how genius this young band is. Their off-kiltered energy is something anyone should look forward to, the attention is well deserved. Red Roulette can be found on Spotify and Bandcamp, with their new EP “Waiting” out now and new music coming soon.