Driving Towards a License

Senior+Carlos+Rivera%2C+gets+behind+the+wheel+to+head+home+in+the+Godinez+parking+structure+on+November+27%2C+2018.+

Driving Towards a License

Senior Carlos Rivera, gets behind the wheel to head home in the Godinez parking structure on November 27, 2018.

Katty Gallegos

Katty Gallegos

Katty Gallegos

Katty Gallegos and Alondra Salgado

Getting a driver’s license can be nerve-wracking. The bittersweet moment has finally arrived for many Grizzlies as they begin to stress over the process of becoming a licensed driver.

Provisional permits are available to 15 ½-year-olds as long as they complete a Driver’s Education course which is available online and in actual classrooms. Studying for the written permit test is important since you can only miss six or eight depending on the type of driver’s test you take.

If you want a license before make sure to contact an instructor. It’s extremely beneficial when it comes to taking the test since the driving school instructor will break it down and guide you. They will show you different routes you may be tested at the DMV which will be a boost of confidence too. The instructor also describes what each DMV expects when it comes to the behind the wheel test giving you a few pointers and correcting your mistakes.

Marvin Sanchez, a senior, said, “ The written test was easy. I passed the first time at the Santa Ana DMV but since I am not 18, I have to take it in April or May when six months have passed.”

Many teenagers prefer the accessibility of online classes rather than attending an actual classroom. Ricardo Correa, an instructor at GNC Driving School, said, “Paying a drivers ed teacher to lead the classroom is not worth the expense due to the low attendance rate.”

Many students do the online class and then just pay for the driver’s training. But for those that want to attend driver’s ed classes, that is also an option at GNC.

Senior Carlos Rivera chose to complete his driver’s ed by attending an actual classroom. “I did not want to risk procrastinating if I did an online course.” After passing the written test, you are granted a provisional permit which must be obtained for 6 months. After these 6 months, you can go back to the DMV to take the behind the wheel test.

Some of our fellow Grizzlies have a driver’s permit, senior Chris Umanzor is one of them. Umanzor said, “I passed the first time at the Santa Ana DMV but I have to wait till April to get my license.”

If you miss more than 15 points on the behind the wheel test, you will not be given a license. Some things that students should  know include knowing your hand signals because they (DMW testers) will ask. Drivers are also required to know where items are located such as your emergency brake, defroster, and horn.

Even though it can be difficult, make sure to be confident, book your appointment beforehand and practice before the date of your test.

Also, have a well functioning car to take your driving test. Nothing is worse than automatically failing the test because the cars brake lights do not work. Have your phone off while testing to avoid any distractions too.

Finally, listen to your instructor when they tell you where to go.

Becoming a licensed driver can mark the beginning of a new chapter in your life, therefore try your best and believe in yourself.

16 Responses to “Driving Towards a License”

1. Daniel on December 3rd, 2018 9:14 am

I believe that this article helps calm your anxiety since now you know what is going to happen when you take your driver license test.

2. Lesly Villasenor on December 3rd, 2018 9:19 am

This article was very informational and helpful to understand the process of getting a license.

3. Jose Mora on December 3rd, 2018 10:05 am

Facts! Driving manual is even harder while taking the behind the wheel test.

4. Genesis on December 3rd, 2018 10:07 am

This article was very helpful because I will be taking my written test and drivers test any time soon.

5. Jasmine Solano on December 3rd, 2018 1:18 pm

I found this article very helpful and interesting since I’m working on getting my license too!!

6. Giovanni on December 3rd, 2018 1:18 pm

If only there were driver educational courses available in schools, maybe if a club could be set up and teach people rules of the road and tips to pass the drivers educational test more students could be prepared for the road.

7. Reyna on December 3rd, 2018 1:20 pm

This article helped me understand more about getting a driver a licenses before you are eighteen and I would honestly prefer learning in a classroom than online because I would also procrastinate.

8. Frank M on December 3rd, 2018 1:21 pm

I found this article very helpful because of the fact that I will be taking my driver’s test in either February.

9. Robert Morgan on December 3rd, 2018 1:22 pm

Don’t run into my car in the parking lot. It is the big black suburban. Park next to another car. Preferably Mr. Tena’s red Toyota. Thanks

10. Mark Martinez on December 3rd, 2018 4:14 pm

Getting a permit was easy, I did it in 4 days, I downloaded the app of the DMV and practiced the test for almost an hour then I went to YouTube and watched 5 different types of test and I did that for 2 days and the video was an hour long but worth it because the next day I passed my permit test and now I’m waiting till the 21st to take the behind the wheel test.

11. Elizabeth Medina on January 29th, 2019 8:59 am

To receive their own driver’s license is and exciting and crucial factor in a person’s life because it is the very next step in their life where they will be able to drive off into the open world. When taking the driver’s test the student has to be vigilant on keeping their eyes on the road at all time to prevent from getting any car accidents. The driver has to have jurisdiction of the car and be able to follow all the signs when on the road. When taking a driver’s test, if you missed more than 8 error that it would cause a person to be implacable on the idea of not receiving their license. However, you can keep trying on study and practicing on driving to be prepared when you take the next time of the test.

12. Rachell on January 29th, 2019 4:03 pm

I have been practicing to get my permit and this article made me discern that it is not difficult to get my permit, I just need to be patient. When I was first learning how to drive my brother would deride my driving skills but I have gotten better after a couple practices. After reading this article, I understand that I will need to study really hard and practice for both the behind the wheel and written test. in order to get my permit. If I fail either test I will be chagrin but I will also want to retake the test.

13. Melissa on January 29th, 2019 4:55 pm

This article helped me stipulate more about taking the drivers education and what the DMV expects for the behind the wheel test. Knowing that other people from Godinez are also practicing learning how to drive and are also nervous about their behind the wheel test, makes me feel less frenzy for when I’m going to take the test, knowing I’m not the only one. But I do agree that Godinez should have an aspirant who can teach a drivers course or can run a club for those who desire to learn about driving.

14. Joaquin Claros on January 29th, 2019 6:34 pm

This article is very helpful to students who are gonna take their drivers test. It informs us of what we will be tested on and how many points we can miss. It also shows us what we should eschew our phones during the driving test or it’ll be a fiasco. This article also tells us not to sally our driver’s test.

15. Indys lopez on January 29th, 2019 8:42 pm

Getting a permit is really easy I feel. because in my experience i just studied like on the day I was gonna go. At first, I didn’t really think it was feasible because I was just scared to even try to get my permit. My dad really thought it showed precociousness in me due to the fact that I was trying to get my permit. But I was kinda chagrin when I found out I couldn’t drive on my own yet though and that I had to drive around with my father.

16. Brian Enriquez on January 29th, 2019 9:58 pm

Going into driving lesson course or getting your permit is all with avid motives. Also, I have to concur with the articles that passing the written test is easy but the other test will be a little bit more diifcult because they will be looking at each nuance in your driving skills.

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Senioritis affecting the race to Graduation

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

AP Practice Exams Invade Spring Break

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Lime Scooters ride into Santa Ana with unprecedented risks

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

GFHS Students Pay the Consequences with Locked Bathrooms on Campus

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Get Involved by Saving the Environment

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Michael Cohen’s Testimony: Why Should It Matter?

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

New GFHS Wellness Center Is Here to Help

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Top 10 of the Most Fierce Ladies in History

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Save the Environment: Buy a Metal Straw

• Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Sex Trafficking is a Reality

Driving Towards a License