2018 Midterm Election

2018 Midterm Election

Credit: Vox

Credit: Vox

Credit: Vox

Ashley Ortega, Staff Writer

After the 2016 elections, many Americans in the United States were waiting to express their political views via the 2018 Midterm elections. Pretty much, a redo for some. 

The elections took place Tuesday, November 6th, 2018. People around the United States traveled to their local polling place to cast their votes to elect Representatives, Senators and many other local elections including Santa Ana Mayor and multiple city council seats.

In the end, the Democrats managed to take the House with an extra 35 seats and 7 undecided seats. The Republicans remained in control of the Senate but there are still three undecided seats.

Locally, Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, won the race for governor of California against Republican John Cox. Miguel Pulido won his twelfth term for Mayor of Santa Ana. For City Council: Roman Reyna, Cecilia Iglesias, and David Penaloza were elected. Valeria Amezcua and John Palacio won for School Board.

As for the propositions, many were passed and numerous were repealed. Prop 7, which conforms California Daylight Savings Time to Federal Law,  was voted with a yes. Out of the 12 Propositions: 1, 2, 4, 7, 11, and 12 were passed.

According to Insidehighered.com, for the first time in U.S history, a midterm election exceeded 100 million voters. This was due to a surge among college-age voters. 31% of young people voted in this election cycle according to The Center of Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement.

More youth are motivated to vote during this time due to all the controversies regarding gun violence, immigration, and the current president.

In order for the United States to change for the better, the youth decided to speak up and fight for their rights by ensuing change using their vote.

Update Dec. 1, 2018: Democrat Gil Cisneros won his seat against Republican Young Kim with 51.6% of the vote. The map shown on the right is now all blue.

2 Responses to “2018 Midterm Election”

1. Emi on December 3rd, 2018 9:17 am

This blue wave is partly because of the increased amount of people voting in comparison to previous years. Younger voters and minority groups largely voted Democratic. That tied in with what they decided were key issues, like sexual harassment and racial advantages.

2. Juan Mendoza on December 3rd, 2018 1:16 pm

Wow! I couldn’t believe this! Maybe there will be a better tomorrow.

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Do it Yourself Ramen is Easier than You Think

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

The Day I Met Kim Kardashian West

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Is Big Brother Really Watching You?

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Marching Through an Uncertain Year, Support Shown at the 3rd Annual OC Women’s March

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

No Child is Left Behind When it Comes to Housing Insecurity

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Cans to Aid a Cause

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

• 2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

2018 Midterm Election