Movie Review: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Courtesy of Disney Studios

Courtesy of Disney Studios

Susana Leon

Disney is known for making adaptations from old tales and welcoming them part of the Disney franchise. Well, Disney’s done it again with another holiday classic just realized a live-action tale just in time for the holiday.  “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” directed by Lasse Hallstrom and Joe Johnston. Is an adaptation from The “Nutcracker and the Mouse King” and “The Nutcracker” a ballet based story. Both have been recycled into numerous versions. I haven’t seen the originals so this movie was pretty new to me.

The cast includes major actors including Morgan Freeman, Eugenio Derbez, Keira Knightley, and Helen Mirren.

In case you are not familiar with this film, it starts with  Christmas week as everyone opens presents except Clara (Mackenzie Foy). She follows a golden thread that leads her to a key in an unknown hollow realm. She immediately runs into trouble when her key is stolen by mice, then is acquainted with Philip (Jayden Fowora-Knight). We find out she is the princess and her deceased mother was the queen who invented the kingdom along with realms. Since her mom is no longer present the kingdom has suffered a downfall. Clara’s curiosity about this place grows on her and she becomes enthusiastic once she finds out the truth and continues to venture off with Philip. On her way, she meets more people like Sugar Plum (Keira Knightley) Hawthorne(Eugenio Derbez) and many more. She needs that special key to unlock a mysterious box to restore peace. It has its melodramatic performances along with some twists.

Props to the set design and aesthetic that they are going for. In the film, it has major cinematography appealing elements. So many colors that give the movie life. Since this is a ballet based story the ballet performances were visual, colorful, and bright. The ballet was eye-catching to watch. The costumes are vibrant and colorful designers really did an amazing job with the costumes.

I feel like the film was a generic Disney film with the same formula of making everything colorful and visually appealing. The film is pretty cultured considering the fact that it’s been remade numerous times.

In my opinion, the film was meh. I was fond of the classic cinematography elements, time era, and settings but I felt like it lacked a bit. Even though it is a great cast, I feel like they could have taken more advantage of adding more lines, more stage presence from some characters. But it’s not something I would watch again. I mean it did make me wish I had reviewed The Grinch. so I give a two out five stars. it was just not interesting to me besides the sets and costume design.