Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Junior Anthony Martinez running towards the sidelines during the game where Godinez lost 30-6 against Beckman High School.

Anthony Martinez

Anthony Martinez

Anthony Martinez

Mario Campos and Jonathan Uriostegui

After playing for Godinez’s frosh and JV football teams, junior Anthony Martinez was a starting receiver for Godinez, but that came to an end. 

Martinez didn’t play football until he started high school. Growing up, his most passionate sport was soccer. At Godinez, he wanted to try new things so he joined football. He then played 3 games on the Godinez varsity team before his jaw-dropping exit.

Martinez was raised by his mother and grandmother. His mother is a hardworking single mom who works as a dental hygienist. She can’t make it to every game but she still attends when work allows her to. Martinez says he is supported a lot by his older sister. He is happy with his mom and sister saying “I couldn’t wish for anything better.”

This is Martinez’s first year in varsity. He realizes that there are crowds of people watching, cheerleaders cheering and most importantly colleges scouting for future teams.

In little time it all came to an end. He said there was a lot of pressure for a team with little chemistry. Anthony quit the team after only playing three games.

Martinez was a good player and teammates saw him as a role model before he left. His teammate runningback Angel Manzo said, “He’s a standout player,  a really good athlete, and he would always find a way to cheer us up.” Manzo is sad he quit. “It’s too bad he left because he’s a great athlete and made practices fun by encouraging us every day,” said Manzo.

Martinez scored the game-winning touchdown against Portola High School. The final score was Godinez 28-22.

The only other sports Martinez will consider joining is track and field. Martinez said, “It’s my other option mainly to improve my speed.” Manzo said he is excited for track season  “to be reunited with his former teammate.”

For senior year Martinez says he wants to come back better. He says he is excited to be back on the Grizzly side and be able to support and be with the team. After high school, he says “college football is an option because I love the sport and I wanna play it my entire life.”