Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Junior Anthony Martinez running towards the sidelines during the game where Godinez lost 30-6 against Beckman High School.

Anthony Martinez

Anthony Martinez

Anthony Martinez

Mario Campos and Jonathan Uriostegui

After playing for Godinez’s frosh and JV football teams, junior Anthony Martinez was a starting receiver for Godinez, but that came to an end. 

Martinez didn’t play football until he started high school. Growing up, his most passionate sport was soccer. At Godinez, he wanted to try new things so he joined football. He then played 3 games on the Godinez varsity team before his jaw-dropping exit.

Martinez was raised by his mother and grandmother. His mother is a hardworking single mom who works as a dental hygienist. She can’t make it to every game but she still attends when work allows her to. Martinez says he is supported a lot by his older sister. He is happy with his mom and sister saying “I couldn’t wish for anything better.”

This is Martinez’s first year in varsity. He realizes that there are crowds of people watching, cheerleaders cheering and most importantly colleges scouting for future teams.

In little time it all came to an end. He said there was a lot of pressure for a team with little chemistry. Anthony quit the team after only playing three games.

Martinez was a good player and teammates saw him as a role model before he left. His teammate runningback Angel Manzo said, “He’s a standout player,  a really good athlete, and he would always find a way to cheer us up.” Manzo is sad he quit. “It’s too bad he left because he’s a great athlete and made practices fun by encouraging us every day,” said Manzo.

Martinez scored the game-winning touchdown against Portola High School. The final score was Godinez 28-22.

The only other sports Martinez will consider joining is track and field. Martinez said, “It’s my other option mainly to improve my speed.” Manzo said he is excited for track season  “to be reunited with his former teammate.”

For senior year Martinez says he wants to come back better. He says he is excited to be back on the Grizzly side and be able to support and be with the team. After high school, he says “college football is an option because I love the sport and I wanna play it my entire life.”

6 Responses to “Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez”

1. Roman Arcos on November 2nd, 2018 10:23 am

Anthony is an outstanding overachieving student. I literally cried when he wasn’t on the field because I know he loves football a lot. I was very disappointed that the team did not suite him, they should improve because they are not good. Anthony if your reading this I hope you join football again so I can pay to see you play.

2. jenny on November 14th, 2018 8:32 am

I think Anthony is a great player. His alacrity to play makes him much more of a great player because he is always positive and his teammates need that kind of positivity. His teammates must have felt eminent to have a player like him because he stood out in the field. I hope the football team gets better so he can come back because it must be very frustrating for him. Although they almost lose every game, I am proud of how hard they work for each other.

3. Gerardo Ramirez on November 14th, 2018 8:33 am

Overall, Even though It was my first year playing football for the JV team Anthony Martinez was a very great Athlete and just after a few games, he decided to leave. I feel distraught that the Varsity football team lost one of their own, unlike the JV team. Even though it’s a flagrant impact on the team they will continue to strive and improve on every day.

4. Chris on November 14th, 2018 7:59 pm

11/14/18
    It was flagrant of him leaving the team because it supposed to be a team effort and he turned his back on what you can say is family. Even though the football team has avid skills at the end of the day you join a sport to have fun and share the great moments that you have with your friends. Winning may not always be an option but you have through pull through for the team and always give your best efforts until the end. As they say its all or nothing. Also just getting an opportunity to represent a varsity team is a gift and you should make the best of it for colleges.

5. Julian Reyes on December 3rd, 2018 1:44 pm

Anthony is a really great athlete and an amazing individual. He is very passionate about the sport, it was a mistake for him to quit. I am excited to see him come back next year and watch him play his heart out.

6. Lisa Treen on December 13th, 2018 9:27 am

Anthony made a choice to quit the football program and only he really knows why he made that decision. I do not agree with it. Here’s my opinion why.

I know that dealing with adversity is part of athletics and more importantly LIFE. How you deal with situations that are difficult reveal one’s character. It’s easy to be part of a program/team when things are going well and it’s all going your way, but it is much more challenging to keep working, grinding and participating every day on a team or program that is struggling. There are countless examples of individuals, athletes and teams that continue to do the work and don’t give up or leave no matter the situation they are facing because they know the benefits of the fight in the struggle to get better. Quitting is not an option as you have the right and ability to control your situation and make it what you want it to be. It may take a while, and the road may be hard, but if you believe and do the work the change will come.

As a high school and college athlete, I too faced many challenges and was part of programs that struggled as well as were very successful. Sports teach us that in the end quitting is not an option and that it is more beneficial to embrace the challenges in your athletic, educational or personal path because they will be a lot of the same challenges you will face in your every day life. Learning and growing from these situations is part of the process and you can’t get that if you quit. This is the true meaning of athletics and it is unfortunate that some choose to take the easy way out rather than persevere and make things better because in the end these experiences only make you better, stronger and more prepared for your future. CHARACTER COUNTS!

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Athletes of the Month: November 2018

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Athletes of the Month: October

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Hispanic Heritage Month Observed Through Major League Athletes

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Freshman in Cross Country Varsity Breaks All Time Record

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Athletes of the Month: September

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Friendships and Families in Volleyball

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

College Football: Will your college football team live up to the hype this season?

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Donna Tran

• Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

A Game to Remember

Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez