Freshman in Cross Country Varsity Breaks All Time Record

Varsity Cross Country Adalberto De Jesus runs at a track meet at Godinez Fundamental High School in Sept.

Photo Courtesy of Adalberto De Jesus

Photo Courtesy of Adalberto De Jesus

Photo Courtesy of Adalberto De Jesus

Giovanni Bello and Anthony Canche

Every one of us has dreamed of doing things quicker. However, freshman Adalberto De Jesus completed just that by breaking the cross country meet time record.

The cross country boys and girls face an exhausting practice almost every day during their fall season. De Jesus, is a freshman is already on varsity. Being able to run in college and breaking his personal record is his only motivation.

De Jesus was first motivated to run by his Carr intermediate school 6th-grade teacher Jennifer Boston. “It was in 6th grade I got recruited in PE class and Jenny worked with me ever since. Jenny never let me quit and I got better as time progressed,” said De Jesus

This progression since 6th grade led him to break one of the fastest records on the Cross Country team. Even some of the varsity players are not as fast as Adalberto De Jesus and he is only a freshman.

Varsity cross country is constantly first in their meets.

De Jesus’ teammate junior, Andrew Bustamante commented: “I think he has the potential to be a top-level runner and definitely can be one of the best in Godinez history.”

De Jesus seems to have a significant cross-country future. With 3 years left for him to graduate including this year, he has substantial potential with a running future.