Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

Mehki+Jones%2C+freshman%2C+passes+the+ball+in+the+game+against+Valley+on+September+18.+
Mehki Jones, freshman, passes the ball in the game against Valley on September 18.

Joyce Feuerborn

Joyce Feuerborn

Alex Bernal and Frankie Castelan

Water polo season is back in action and the team is improving daily. Half of the water polo team this year consist, of new players. Seven of the 13 players are new and already on varsity.

For freshmen, Diego Jimenez, to follow this schedule, he said, “In the beginning, it was hard because I had to manage AP government with this schedule. Now I feel like I’m getting into the rhythm of having practice and working my schedule around it.” Having to play a big role for the team his first year Jimenez continued, “ It’s a lot of pressure because you have to play with a lot of experienced people especially when playing against other schools. And everyone is looking at you to improve faster.”

The Godinez Boys Water Polo team new players didn’t expect to be on varsity when they joined. The new players were bumped up to varsity because of the low amount of people on the team.

They also have to adjust to the tough practice schedule. That is, start practice at 4:30 p.m. and end at 7:00 p.m. Just as many people left the team than the people that joined the team. Two freshmen have really stepped up this year by playing starting roles for injured players. They are Diego Jimenez and Mehki Jones.

Freshman, Mehki Jones, added, “ It’s a little tough because I used to get home from middle school at four and I thought that was crazy.” As a varsity starter in his first year, he continued, “ Now I gotta get home at seven, eight, or nine. It’s a very big adjustment.

This season, the Godinez Water Polo team is 1 – 2 in league and 3 – 9 overall. The score of the last game they just played was 14-4 Orange. Even with all of these losses, there is still improvement being shown by the new players. So far this season, Jimenez is the only freshman varsity player to make a goal.

What made Jones join water polo was to become part of a team and to situate himself with new friends and experiences. Jimenez said that he joined because he liked swimming and others told him he was a good swimmer so he thought that he would try water polo. They said others should join water polo because it’s a good team sport, it connects you to the school, and teaches you a lot about work ethic.

As Jones says it, “ It’s always nice to see these rad lads in the halls every day.”

6 Responses to “Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges”

1. Aviara Mata-Mercado on October 17th, 2018 8:21 am

I think it’s great how much devotion Mekhi and Diego are showing towards their sports and education. Being on water polo or a sport in general shows you need to have good time management. Boys water polo is doing great with everything

2. Alejandra Pintor on October 17th, 2018 8:24 am

This is really cool how freshman are not left out and are playing at Varsity level. This sport by what I see requires lots of effort, but can be very fun. This sport is amazing and has much teamwork to make new friends fast.

3. Robert Morgan on October 17th, 2018 9:14 am

Mekhi and Diego are hero worthy. I believe that Diego looks great in his Shrute Farms shirt

4. Andrea Muniz on October 17th, 2018 12:56 pm

I think it’s amazing how these boys work together to play this sport even though these are tough times to practice. As a water polo player, I also have seen much improvement with these boys and I can’t wait to see what their future holds.

5. Julian on October 17th, 2018 1:03 pm

Waterpolo will soon be very strong with these young athletes!

6. Jenessa Hernandez on October 18th, 2018 12:04 pm

WoOW, LOOOVE this article. Really got to show some support for my pals on the water polo team.

• Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

Showcase

Stressed and Hungry? We Found Study Solutions

Showcase

Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

Showcase

Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise

Sports

A Game to Remember

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

Showcase

What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

Showcase

GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

A Disney Dismay for Cash-Strapped Seniors