Can DC Live Up to Marvel’s Reputation?

Image courtesy of Marvel Studios

Image courtesy of Marvel Studios

Michelle Martinez and Kathleen Te

For so long, many people bet and challenged in costumes as their favorite superhero, to try to figure out who is the better savior. One battle still continues with Batman vs. Captain America. Some pronounce they are both evenly matched with that, “puncher’s chance” or “lucky shot” quality as both are able to execute a strategic throw to knock someone out with their adrenaline strength and no chance of wearing out.

However, some argue Batman does not have much of an advantage because he has to go through many gadgets and rigid armor which fights the game for him. Captain America has more features of absolute fearless strength and enduring speed in his latex patriotic blue, red and white suit. This could go back and forth, but the bigger picture is which universe is better. Marvel or DC?  Let’s fight.

Recently, the Marvel universe has displayed extreme successful and groundbreaking movies: “Black Panther” and “Infinity War.” Similarly, the movies such as “Wonder Woman,” and the latest, “Justice League” are well known as well. However, the recently released DC film has a 40 percent rating compared to Marvel with a high rating of 84 percent.  

The next Marvel movie that has been confirmed to come out is “Captain Marvel” starring Brie Larson with the release date of March 8, 2019. For DC, the next confirmed movie to come out is “Aquaman” starring Jason Momoa set to release on Dec. 14, 2018. Competition between the two universes will be visible more than ever because of their upcoming films.

Marvel has been producing films knowing that their fans are anticipating more news about their latest activities. Recently the trailer for “Captain Marvel” was released and established a worldwide conversation even though there is still a long wait.

“I’m anticipating Marvel movies because DC releases good trailers but their movies don’t reach the trailers expectation,” Emily Perez said. It seems like DC might be having difficulties grabbing the audience’s attention when Marvel is constantly releasing new information for upcoming projects.

“Honestly, I’m anticipating the next Avengers more because I am not a fan of Captain Marvel since I want to see how the whole Thanos situation will play out,” said Jesus Campos. Considering the events that occurred in “Infinity War” it is no surprise that many are wondering what will happen next.

This year there has been a rise in superhero movies which makes some wonder, why are they worth it? Perez commented that “they may be fictional and their powers aren’t real,  but they do show some form of humanity.” These superhero movies come with an interesting storyline, but they are made so that anyone can relate to them.

Another reason why superhero movies are worth it is that of the way they are directed with detail. Campos clarified, “ the explanation and depth” of films make it worth to go see.

DC has good superheroes, but the movies don’t do them enough justice.

Once you enter Jessica Morris’s classroom, you will know instantaneously what a geek fanatic she is and what huge love for sharks she has. Every nook and cranny in the room had posters, toys, pictures and stuff animals. There are built in Lego Star Wars ships along her desk, posters of comic movies, pictures of her past and present aquatics players, and stuffed animals of sharks.

Her colorful memorabilia fort gives you a glimpse into the possible love of Marvel or DC. We were absolutely right but leans more to Marvel movies. Therefore, we had to know about her thoughts.  

She’s looking forward to, “Venom”,  and “Infinity War.” With “Venom,” she has never seen a movie made about this particular character however, it is among her favorites. As the other movie left fervent fans like herself in blank stares on the endless possibilities and pushing theories on what happened to the Avengers, she just wants to know the upcoming plot twist.

Now her favorite superhero is Thor, and her favorite villain is Ultron. When “Thor Ragnarok” came out, she watched that movie three times. She loved the balance on how there were tense action pack scenes and then a sudden comic relief.

Superhero movies are worth to watch as we, “escape reality.” It brings joy to how matters are being solved with mind-blowing plots and creative art styles. Superhero movies bring our imagination to life in today’s impossibilities of space.   

If she was able to have powers for 24 hours, she would like to have the power of teleportation. With that power, she could travel without limits. When asked which one is better, she instantaneously responded, “Marvel.” She believes DC brings in a dark negative aspect of imagination with involving the tough political climate today in the movies. Comics are meant to take us out from reality. Maybe Marvel is the way to go.

15 Responses to “Can DC Live Up to Marvel’s Reputation?”

1. Daniel on October 17th, 2018 8:23 am

I don’t think that the DC universe will ever live up to Marvel’s reputation. Because let’s be honest dc movies are trash and when you compare them to Marvel movies and heroes it is just sad. Because Marvel is clearly and will always be better than the DC universe.

2. Christopher on October 17th, 2018 9:14 am

The only reason why DC is failing is because Warner Bros keep giving chances to Zack Snyder. In Marvel Disney gives other directors to go how they want their movie to be

3. Robert Morgan on October 17th, 2018 9:17 am

The Aquaman movie will change all of this. He has powers to influence all the Sea creatures. Including creatures living near or sometimes landing on the sea such as Sea Gulls.

4. Santiago Ojeda on October 17th, 2018 9:20 am

Whoever wrote this article did some good investigation. Marvel will always beat DC, DC has Aquaman coming up and the Joker Movie but Marvel has Avengers 4, Captian Marvel, & Spiderman Far from home, already in production. No competition.

5. Gerardo Yanez on October 17th, 2018 9:21 am

Marvel knows exactly what they are doing. They have started to plan the Marvel Cinematic Universe since 2008, with the film Iron Man, that started it all. They have been able to maintain a storyline that continues throughout films, and allow them to connect through different stories. Marvel Studios have been able to maintain this for 10 years while DC has always had a problem with continuity and being able to maintain a storyline inside of the DC Cinematic universe. The Dc Universe has not been able to live up to everything that Marvel does, coming from the movies and even the tv shows they put out. I agree with the point that the trailer always seems to excite many individuals and the new movie looks promising but turns out to be another heartbreak for a comic book fan. In conclusion, it is highly unlikely that DC will ever live up the Marvel’s reputation, as they continue to be a successful company that will plan to continue the Marvel Cinematic Universe for as long as they can.

6. William on October 17th, 2018 9:22 am

I believe DC has the ability to be up there with Marvel. Their choices within the screen have affected them hugely such as the climax in Batman v Superman. A well-known trait of Marvel movies is comic relief, an occurrence rarely witnessed in a DC movie. Comedy is a huge contributing factor that keeps the viewer entertained and DC has trouble landing such characteristic. If DC were to incorporate a comic relief in their movies, such as in Wonder Woman, I believe DC can be as successful as Marvel.

7. Juan Mendoza on October 17th, 2018 12:56 pm

I believe that someday Disney will buy DC comics

8. Mariana Vivas on October 17th, 2018 12:56 pm

I feel that because the different focus Marvel has makes it interesting. Marvel seems to be more scientific based rather than being almost entirely fictional like DC. I feel that Marvel has a better appeal.

9. Giovanni on October 17th, 2018 1:00 pm

In the argument over which is better, Marvel or DC most people tend to stick to the respective movies while the comic versions of each company’s characters are differently written than the movie versions compared the comics with more lore and history put into them if the argument between which is better extended to the comics then this argument would get more in detail, but for now since the majority of people who express their opinions of the company’s heroes over their movie appearances, we only like the characters with the better movies.

10. Reyna on October 17th, 2018 1:01 pm

This is such a hard decision, but Marvel all the way!!!!!

11. Javier Perez on October 17th, 2018 1:03 pm

Marvel or DC, hard to pick since both have characters in which I personally enjoy. Movie wise, Marvel has a very strong cinematic universe in which they create individual movies first then create a way to merge with other characters in movies but as for DC they seemed too rushed and the cinematic universe is out of the place.

12. Dulce M Rivera on October 17th, 2018 2:05 pm

I think both of these universes have amazing characters that give people a different perspective of other peoples realities.

13. Jackie P on October 17th, 2018 2:09 pm

Although I love Marvel, this article seemed a little biased and wish it would have had a DC fanatic.

14. Jacquelyn Merino on October 17th, 2018 2:11 pm

I agree with the fact that DC has really good characters, such as The Flash and Wonder Woman. The shows some of these characters have on The CW are some of my favorites, but the movies diminish my appreciation for DC. Marvel has the perfect amount of comedy, action, and romance that we have all come to appreciate. Marvel over DC any day.

15. Marc Flores on October 18th, 2018 12:57 pm

To me, these superheroes have played an eminent role to my life. When I feel let down I often think of these superheroes. Characters like Spider-Man, I would enjoy since I would relate to them in a big way. Though, at the end of the day, this is still a business. The two most popular companies of superheroes is Marvel and DC. Both companies have created indiscriminate heroes any person would look up to as a fictional role model. Their rivalry had dated back to the 1900s. In today’s society, there are many fans for both companies. But as of now, Marvel has the edge over DC due to their films. Disney owns the Marvel Cinematic Universe and with their films, they have really brought the characters to life and made films kids and adults can enjoy. DC, on the other hand, struggles due to their films lacking many things.

• Can DC Live Up to Marvel’s Reputation?

Arts & Entertainment

What´s the talk of the School? Video game takeover!

Arts & Entertainment

Top Five Cheesy Rom-Com Movies on Netflix

Arts & Entertainment

High school is turning into a Fashion Runway

Arts & Entertainment

New TV Shows/Series Coming out this Fall (2018)

Arts & Entertainment

Godinez Art Students Commemorate Santa Ana Turning 150 Years Old

Arts & Entertainment

Two Gals Eat: Santa’s Buffet and Grill

Arts & Entertainment

Highest Selling First Week Debuts for Albums in 2018

Arts & Entertainment

Concert Review: In Real Life Dominating the Stage

Arts & Entertainment

Up and Coming Boy Band “In Real Life” Wants to Belong in OC

Arts & Entertainment

Song of the Summer is Debatable among Grizzlies

Can DC Live Up to Marvel’s Reputation?