College Football: Will your college football team live up to the hype this season?

(Left to Right) JT Daniels #18, Kyrs Barnes #14, Devonta Smith #6 playing in their respective teams for the college football season.

Source: Getty Images

Source: Getty Images

Source: Getty Images

Marco Morales and Melvin León

The time for NCAA Division I college football has arrived once again and college student-athletes are grinding their heart out for a shot to play in the almighty NFL. Our fellow Grizzlies had an intake for this year’s college football season, as well as hopes for their teams.

More than 100 college football teams will participate throughout the regular season from Aug. 25 through Dec. 8. The postseason starts on Dec. 15 and goes through Jan. 8. Around 27.4 million viewers tuned in to watch last year’s national championship on ESPN alone.

With the new season, the reigning champions and powerhouse Alabama Crimson Tide are looking to retain their glory from last season. The USC Trojans are looking for a possible playoff run with their new starting quarterback J.T. Daniels who recently joined the team from Mater Dei, located in Santa Ana, CA.

Junior, Jonatan Lozano, said, “I support Alabama, they have never had a bad team overall, they usually have good seasons, good records. They hold a good coaching staff too. I expect them to make the finals again just like last year.” Lozano has his hopes high for Alabama and recommends other students to tune into Alabama’s fan base because of their difference of intensity in the game compared to the NFL. The players work hard to make it towards their goal to join the NFL, therefore they are always playing with great passion and pride.

Junior, Valentin Valencia, comments, “I support Texas Longhorns, I like the Texas’ atmosphere and their way of football. They’re going to make it far but I don’t see them going to the national championships. I don’t think they are ready for that type of level of football.” Valencia encourages his fellow Grizzlies to support the Longhorns because of their great program and how consistent they are every year.

Junior, Bryan Mirafuentes, mentions, “I support Penn State, they are one of the top powerhouses in college football right now. They haven’t really played that many difficult opponents so far. I hope they make the playoffs and hopefully make the national championship.” With Mirafuentes’ confident start for his Penn State Lions, he highlights his reasoning for other students on campus to root for his side because of their strong selection of talented players and their hopes for the grand prize for this season.

Who will you support?

7 Responses to “College Football: Will your college football team live up to the hype this season?”

1. Ivan on October 9th, 2018 9:00 am

College Football is a very popular sport in our generation. To be able to be a starter for your team you must be adroit at this sport. But there are people that loathe this sport is because their team isn’t doing as good as they wished. There will be people that will go for a specific college and really hoping that they will go to and win the playoffs. I support Alabama because as Jonatan Lozano stated, “They hold a good coaching staff” they also made the playoffs last year they don’t have a bad team at all and I have faith that they will win.

2. Hector on October 9th, 2018 9:01 am

This article was well written in the way that gave a lot of details and information. It also gave the insight of avid fans of college football which helped show people’s opinion on the sport. It gave dates of games while putting into good use of technology by showing the stats of how many people viewed it.

3. Adriana Meza on October 9th, 2018 11:01 am

The idea of playing NCAA football has intrigued the interest of many avid high school athletes as it is an aspiring lifetime goal. Despite the infamous consequences, athletes have become steeped in the fascinating sport itself as they follow the statistics religiously. Based on the claims stated by existing athletes at Godinez, each collegiate team reaches out to different throngs of students in which they fit the satisfaction and envisions of an ideal college. Collegiate sports act as a catalyst for scholarly actions in high school as students will continue to strive for their goals as professional football players.

4. Cesar Estrada on October 9th, 2018 12:09 pm

As an avid football fan, I think Washington has a chance at winning the championship this year. The Huskies don’t have another current ranked top-10 opponent on the schedule. However, if they lose to the Tigers it’s going to be a problem. Still, Chris Petersen has built a powerhouse in the Northwest. U-Dub is the overwhelming Pac-12 favorite. Their team overall is just adroit. That makes them the best and just about the only hope for the West Coast in the playoff.

5. stephanie on October 9th, 2018 12:12 pm

That´s cool the quarterback came from Santa Ana.

6. Martin Meza on October 9th, 2018 12:35 pm

I support UCLA ‘s football team into making it pretty far and into the playoffs. Their adroitness on the team helps the team go farther and closer into the playoffs. Even if there might be some flaws on the team, their skills, and abilities to play football will make up for that and help them go onto the playoffs. I’m a very avid fan of UCLA’s football team and other programs they have on their campus.

7. Erick Lopez on October 9th, 2018 1:16 pm

I will support Ohio State they have had a good start this year with all there adroit players. Their quarterback Tate Martell has been fabricating many excellent plays that have led them to a 6-0 start. Ohio State has been making teams tremulous at the start of every game.

• College Football: Will your college football team live up to the hype this season?

Sports

Athletes of the Month: November 2018

Sports

Athletes of the Month: October

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Hispanic Heritage Month Observed Through Major League Athletes

Sports

Freshman in Cross Country Varsity Breaks All Time Record

Sports

Athletes of the Month: September

Sports

Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

Sports

Friendships and Families in Volleyball

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Donna Tran

Sports

A Game to Remember